2002 4.3GXI ECM Failures

bikker2001

Cadet
I have a 2002 Glastron GX205 with a 4.3GXI Volvo Penta. I've owned the boat one year. On vacation, after a 22 mile boat ride, we stopped for lunch and after getting back in the boat headed to a cove to ski. On the 5th pull the boat coughed and spit and died. I thought I had run out of gas. After gassing up (it was not empty) we headed back home and on that trip it would bog down and die. Finally it wouldn't start at all. I thought I was chasing a fuel problem and ended up replacing most of the components in the fuel system. Each time I replaced a part the boat would start and run 30 - 60 minutes and then exhibit the same symptoms. I took it to a shop and while at the shop the boat lost spark completely they said it was a bad ECM. I sent the ECM off for diagnostics and indeed it is fried. The ECM had only 35 hours on it (it had been replaced before I bought the boat). I'm planning to replace the ECM, but concerned that there is some issue that is causing these to go bad. Do you have any suggestions to help me determine what is causing the ECMs to go bad in this boat?

alldodge

Staff member
First thing I would check is the alternator output voltage. If its higher the 14.5V it might have a bad regulator. If it goes bad the voltage can fire everything if given enough time. Next check your grounds, it they are not making good contact increase current can happen.

If your having any trouble with easy starts and idling are correct RPM, check the IAC