Volvo 5.7 MPI starting issue - long story

BH523

Cadet
The fuel line is connected to the anti siphon valve which is connected to the pick up tube. Use an open end wrench to unscrew the anti siphon valve from the pick up tube. Make sure to keep a wrench on the pick up tube fitting so you do not torque it when you unscrew the anti siphon valve
- Barry - yes the problem is that I can't get that siphon valve to turn. It's in a difficult place to get any torque on the wrench and there's the sealant too.

Chigwalla "Heat it up with a heatgun or IR lamp to soften the goo and it'll spin out." - is this safe? I have a heat gun just concerned about using heat around fuel.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
I'm not saying if it's safe or not, but whenever I do that I use an IR temp gun to monitor temps to make sure that it does not get too hot. The problem is, who knows how hot that is?

alldodge

Staff member
I would keep any and all heat away.

To remove, suggest removing or cutting the rubber hose off. Get a deep well socket to fit the antisiphon valve, and use a wrench on the dip tube fitting

BarryTurano

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Look into product called Debond. It is possible that someone used 5200 to seal it. I have used Debond it will dissolve 5200, in a matter of minutes. That could be the reason why you can't loosen it.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Hi
Is really likely that we are going down the right path with this ? Given all the info above ?

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Surely an electrical mpi/gxi related gremlin and not a fuel supply problem ?

BH523

Cadet
Hey QBhoy - yeah I wonder about that too. I plan on going to the marina on Wednesday. I would like to rule out the anti-siphon valve though. To me the critical info is that it starts fine cold, and when it is warm it needs throttle to start. I'll keep you posted.

Wave34

Petty Officer 1st Class
I know it's an old thread, but I'm having a similar problem.

BH523, have you solved the problem?
Please give us an update.