Volvo Penta oil pressure sensor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dodboss

Cadet
I have a 2006 Volvo penta 5.0l GXi engine and my oil pressure gauge has stopped working. Can anyone tell me where to find the oil pressure sender in the engine bay (picture would be great).

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
back of motor, next to distributor

its a light blue wire.

To test the gauge, voltage from "I" to "G" terminal must be 10-16 volts DC, with no wire on "S" terminal. Gauge pointer should rest below the "0 PSI" mark. Next, connect the "S" terminal to the "G" terminal (leave "I" and "G" terminals connected). The gauge pointer should rest above the maximum pressure mark

Sender resistance can be measured to determine the sender's correct operation. Remove wire to gauge. Connect an ohmmeter to terminal of sender and to engine block. Approximate pressure sender resistance values are:
  • Zero pressure = 240 ohms
  • 1/2 gauge reading = 103 ohms
  • full gauge pressure = 33 ohms.
  • You will get half these values on a dual gauge sender.
If sender is shorted (0 ohms) gauge will read above full gauge pressure reading.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Brilliant from SD above.
Often the sender unit is disturbed when changing the filter in a tight engine bay access situation. It's right next the filter housing.
I recently found the same problem. Broken wire on sender unit....not before changing the gauge (easy option)....should have tested the gauge first !

woodsy01

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Brilliant from SD above.
Often the sender unit is disturbed when changing the filter in a tight engine bay access situation. It's right next the filter housing.
I recently found the same problem. Broken wire on sender unit....not before changing the gauge (easy option)....should have tested the gauge first !
oh, I thought it was at the rear of the engine next to distributor ? behind the port rocker cover, is that another sender ? i dont recall seeing anything by the filter itself

dubs283

Vice Admiral
oh, I thought it was at the rear of the engine next to distributor ? behind the port rocker cover, is that another sender ? i dont recall seeing anything by the filter itself
Some engines have two oil pressure senders. One for the gauge (sender), and one for the warning system (switch).

The sender for the gauge is normally shaped like a bell, roughly 2" diameter by 2" tall with a small stud on top for a ring terminal at the end of a light blue wire. This is for the gauge. Common locations are as described above.

The switch for the warning system, if equipped is smaller, about 1" diameter by 1/2" tall with either a small stud or male spade on top. Wire color for the warning system is tan with blue tracer. Common location is the same as the sender

woodsy01

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Some engines have two oil pressure senders. One for the gauge (sender), and one for the warning system (switch).

The sender for the gauge is normally shaped like a bell, roughly 2" diameter by 2" tall with a small stud on top for a ring terminal at the end of a light blue wire. This is for the gauge. Common locations are as described above.

The switch for the warning system, if equipped is smaller, about 1" diameter by 1/2" tall with either a small stud or male spade on top. Wire color for the warning system is tan with blue tracer. Common location is the same as the sender
Thanks Dubs, sorry, I see this is an old thread. Would a lose wire on the "bell shaped" sender explain a sudden large increase in the pressure showing on the gauge ? All I have done is fix a head gasket and change the oil, motor runs fine, two weeks after the head gasket repair I changed the oil and pressure is very high ( 80 psi at idle ) and the gauge seem to "flicker"? PS its a 5.7osi gasoline 2006 volvo.

Status
Not open for further replies.