5.0L GXi no start, fuel injection pump before start is intermittent

bhollehday

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Just bought a 2006 Larson with 160 hours on it. I read that the screen on the fuel pressure regulator has caused pump starving issues and a tech bulletin to remove was sent out. I pulled it out and ironically after about 1 hour of use, I had some issue with the EFI system.

I do want to note that when it is hot I sometimes I would have to throttle up in order to get it started, but it would run and start just fine otherwise (this is before removing the screen). But over the weekend, after running great and swapping skiers, it wouldn't start and would just crank and had no obvious signs prior with performance or starting. I realized the EFI pump wasn't priming or turning on before start with ignition on so I started checking fuses. All fuses looked fine, but I finally got some life from the EFI system when I pulled the fuse and simply just put it back in. It didn't sound normal though and had a faint operating noise compared to normal. And it didnt make a difference with starting..

It seems kind of early for a fuel pump to go out. And it seems pretty odd that im having this issue after pulling the screen on th regulator, so im wondering if there are any EFI guys out there that could help. Id rather start with a $10 relay than a thousand dollar pump...not too familiar with how this system works though.

Thanks!

I would start by going to AutoZone or equivalent and rent a fuel pressure gauge. It is free to rent and you can measure the pressure at the rail and the low pressure pump to see if you are within range.

Also when you removed the screen from the pressure regulator did you replace the screen with the stainless E-clip that Volvo recommends? I don't remember for sure but I think it held the regulator together.

I got 2 hours of operating time on one pump before it went out, so I would say it is never too soon for a pump to go out. They are just a very very bad design in my opinion.

bhollehday

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I would start by going to AutoZone or equivalent and rent a fuel pressure gauge. It is free to rent and you can measure the pressure at the rail and the low pressure pump to see if you are within range.

Also when you removed the screen from the pressure regulator did you replace the screen with the stainless E-clip that Volvo recommends? I don't remember for sure but I think it held the regulator together.

I got 2 hours of operating time on one pump before it went out, so I would say it is never too soon for a pump to go out. They are just a very very bad design in my opinion.

Yes I put in the e-clip.

I dont see why I would try and measure the fuel pressure if it wont start? Currently I turn ign to on and you dont hear the EFI system prime like you normally would. Until I remove the fuse and put it back in then it makes noise but not normal and still wont start.

Can anyone help point out what is actually pumping or what pump is making the noise when you initially turn the ign on? That seems to be the direct issue here..will start with pulling the relay and putting a new one in when I get home tonight...

All fuses looked fine, but I finally got some life from the EFI system when I pulled the fuse and simply just put it back in. It didn't sound normal though and had a faint operating noise compared to normal. And it didnt make a difference with starting..

I suggested checking the rail pressure because it is easy and free to do. It will determine if the pump and fuel pressure regulator are doing their part of the fuel delivery. I am having my own issues with a very similar engine not running right now. Similar year and everything.

I don't know YOUR boat, but on my boat the noise that I hear when the key to the first position is the low and high pressure fuel pumps. They run for a few seconds to prime pressure in the rail so when I turn the key to the next position the starter engages. If your pumps aren't making the normal noise, why not check them for correct operation?

89retta

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Did you check your tether on your kill switch ? Make sure its all the way on. Had the same problem and all it was, was the kill switch. Tether was loose had triggered the kill switch

Dave-R

Chief Petty Officer
The electrical connections to both pumps have been known to get loose. Check both pumps. There is also a relay for the fuel pumps. Put your hand on each pump when the key is turned on to see if they run for a few seconds before turning off. You can jumper each pump to see if they will run also. Make sure the battery is also at full charge. If you are getting both pumps to run, you could check the fuel pressures. Not big deal. Also the tip to check the kill switch is a good one. Some will allow the engine crank, but not start. Some will not let the engine even crank when tripped. When you are cranking the engine, the power to the fuel pumps come from the starter. When the engine is running, the power comes from the alternator. There are diodes in the supply wires to prevent back feeding each other. Let us know what you find. Dave-R

bhollehday

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Did you check your tether on your kill switch ? Make sure its all the way on. Had the same problem and all it was, was the kill switch. Tether was loose had triggered the kill switch

You were right on the money my friend. As soon as I was done reading this I face palmed myself. The tether was still there but just slipped off the button so was hard to tell it was dis-engaged. That would entirely explain everything. It seemed very odd that everything was running just fine performed consistent and then just stopped suddenly.

It was a coincidence that I had just removed the regulator screen and this happened. It had me worried that had something to do with it and I jumped the gun on the simple stuff!!!!!! Thanks so much

89retta

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Same thing happened to me. Boat fired up put it in reverse and died. Paddled to the dock and loaded up. Thought my fuel pump went on me. The wife told me to check the tether. And that's what it was. So don't thank me. Its my wife who deserves the credit.