Please HELP! Major issue within hours of purchasing boat.

Turbomark

Recruit
Hey everyone, new boat owner and to this forum, hoping I can get some help from you. My wife and I took delivery on our 2007 Regal 1900 with 52 hours and Volvo 4.3L this morning. We were excited to get out right away. Dealer had given the boat a thorough inspection before delivery and I checked the oil and connections myself, all good. We put it in the water, started like a dream, filled up on gas and headed out. Pretty quickly I noticed that the boat was very sluggish from slow speeds and seemed to struggle to get going or onto plane but once on plane moved along pretty well. About 10 min into our maiden trip, I had slowed to an almost stop and put it in neutral and the engine died. Had trouble getting it started at first but was able to coax it to run through working the choke. We rode a couple miles and found a nice place to anchor and hang out for a bit. A couple hours later when we were ready to take off, same thing. Had to choke and hold for it to run, if moved to neutral setting, it died immediately. I popped the hatch and saw a ton of this milky, sludgy residue. I grew up owning and riding jet skis so boat engines are a new concept to me and had no idea what I was looking at but knew it wasn't good at all. At that point we called in a tow boat and went back to the marina.

I would love any opinions on what could be the issue. I've read cracked block, intake or exhaust manifold. Mostly happens from improper winterization I believe. A rep from the dealership responded to me after hours today, apologized and re-assured me that they would not leave me hanging so I'm hopeful that we can get a peaceful resolution. Background: one owner boat. Man got cancer and boat was barely used, hence the low hours. He passed away and his kids are selling the boat on consignment. Again, dealer reassured me that they did a thorough inspection and testing.

QUESTION; If it were you, do I work with them to make it right or take this as a bad sign and insist they take the boat back and refund my money? We like the boat a lot but don't want to make a big mistake here.

LINK TO PICTURE OF ENGINE BAY

https://i.imgur.com/pkMAQ70_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

Thanks in advance for the help and input!!

Last edited:

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
What were the terms of sale? Was a specific warrantee provided? If so what did it cover?
​It sounds like you have basically 2 options, either try to get them to take back the boat, or they pay to repair what's wrong with it. If the previous owner hardly used it and the boat was owned in an area that experiences freezes then its certainly possible that one year the boat was not winterized. All it takes is about 6 hrs at 28* and its all over. You'll have cracks in the cyl heads, intake and block. If this is the case you will need a new long block, probably a set of exhaust manifolds and risers and maybe an impeller housing and power steering cooler. These are all the things that will be freeze damaged by not winterizing the boat. And at new prices, this could total up to about $4500 or so, then they have to add labor. I would never buy an inboard without a really good inspection for freeze damage first. If they will take the boat back, see if you can get an outboard powered boat instead. They tend to need less maintenance and you will not run into this problem with an OB because they are self draining. I have always said that inboards and I/Os should be closed cooled because this at least protects the engine against catastrophic freeze damage and they were designed to be cooled by antifreeze/water mix in a pressurized cooling system. Not cooled by raw water in an open system. Most I/Os are raw water (open) cooled due to the cheapness of boat companies. Outboards on the other hand were designed for open or raw water cooling....

Turbomark

Recruit
Thanks for the input, Lou!

I edited my original post with a link to show a picture of the engine bay so you can see the extent of the milky oil. No written warranty but the dealer has been around for a long time and assured me on multiple occasions that it had been thoroughly checked and various other mechanical repairs made before listing it for sale. Owner lived in southern IL so it would have definitely experienced cold weather for prolonged periods of time.

Question here; let's say the original owner and dealer agree to completely replace everything you mentioned. Would you recommend accepting that and keeping the boat or is it still a risk not worth taking?

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Well that depends on the condition of the rest of the boat. It is 10 years old and one thing about inboard/outboard power systems, the engine is only one half of it! (you still have a transom mount, outdrive, bellows, gimble bearing, u joints etc to think about!)
​If the rest of the boat is in good shape let's say and they agree to give you a new long block I'd say it might be an OK deal. But I think once the parts needed are all added up, plus the labor to pull the old engine, and strip off the accessories you can still use (ie carb, which needs to be rebuilt, alternator, starter, trim relays etc) and then to re-assemble the new engine peripherals (ie install new intake manifold, exhaust system, carb etc) then install in the boat, you may encounter some resistance. They may try to sell you on a re-manufactured engine, which is OK in some cases but is really not that much cheaper than a new GM marine engine. I'd push for new, even though the boat is 10 years old.

​PS I'd want to see receipts PROVING they installed a new long block, manifolds, etc. Beware of the "rebuild in a spray can syndrome".....

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
That sludge is water and oil mixed. The motor needs a rebuild as water isnt a good lube for bearings

Is this a fresh water or salt water boat?

Could be a failed manifold/riser joint
Could be a cracked block

Either way, contact the prior owner and the marina that checked it out as step 1

If you do the work yourself, a new motor is under $2k

Turbomark

Recruit
Thanks Scott! It's a fresh water boat, Mississippi River.

I spoke with the dealer last night. They are picking up the boat from the marina and contacting the owner Monday morning to start the process. I appreciate all the insight so I can be well informed. This is all very new to me.

tpenfield

Staff member
I agree with Scott - cracked engine block or at least cracked exhaust manifold . . . Or the engine has rabies :eek:

Go through your sales contract fine print to see what the warranties and remedies are provided in the contract.

If you can get out of the deal with a full refund, take it

Last edited:

savetexomabeaches

Chief Petty Officer
I'd let the boat go back and look into something else. and holy cow, that IS a mess.. Look into an outboard boat, or a mercruiser.. And the reason I say mercruiser is.. quoted from source "MerCruiser has an advantage is in the availability and cost of repairs and parts. There are MerCruiser dealers and MerCruiser mechanics virtually everywhere you find boats, but depending on where you live, finding a Volvo location can be a bit tougher and the parts can be a bit pricey."

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Well that's not good. Hope they come clean on repairs. Another thing to check before going to much further is the onboard fresh water system of it has one. you could have frozen broken pumps and lines if they were not winterized also.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
4.3. Odds are the intake cracked. Happens on a lot of 4.3s, for some reason a lot of people forget to drain it.
You said on earlier restarts, you had to manipulate the choke. No foam at that time?
How much mocha in the crankcase?

tpenfield

Staff member
The OP has the same thread on THT and has posted an update. Hoping he will visit over here as well :)

Turbomark

Recruit
Update: Returned boat to the dealer and was hand back my check along with an additional check to cover the $200 tow bill. So grateful and thankful for the outcome. Thanks again everyone for the input and help!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
"This case is closed, King" said Sgt. Preston of the Yukon as he closed the folder and placed it the case closed file cabinet before mounting Rex and returning to patrol.

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
"This case is closed, King" said Sgt. Preston of the Yukon as he closed the folder and placed it the case closed file cabinet before mounting Rex and returning to patrol.

Haven't heard that phrase for decades! You and I must be older than dirt! :D

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander
Now that sounds like a dealer you should continue to deal with.

Jammer864

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Please post name of the dealer. Or message me. Thats a dealer that i would like to buy from.