1998 Volvo 3.0l sea water pump leaking out by shaft...

As the title say's my 3.0 Volvo's sea water pump is leaking out were the shaft goes into the housing. What do I need to do?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Do a search on iBoats for volvo penta pump rebuild. There is a good writeup. Think its in the DIY stickies

Is there supposed to be an o ring on the shaft outside of the housing? It seems weird that there is an o ring riding on the shaft with nothing for it to seal.

No Title

I'm starting the disassembly. I figure since I'm going to replace the seal I should replace the bearing too. Does thet sound like a good idea?

All I will need is the seal, clip, and bearing, right? Can I order these parts separately?

I have my bearing puller setup on the shaft. Does this look correct? I am concerned that the brass housing will not withstand the lateral force of the puller.

Do I need to remove the little clip inside the seal before I push the shaft out?

I've uploaded some pictures.

Attachments

• photo276469.jpg
    photo276469.jpg
    192.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo276470.jpg
    photo276470.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 0

harojs

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Yes, you need to remove the 'circlip' that holds in the bearing before the bearing can be removed. Preferably with appropriately sized ciclip pliers which you can get at most tool stores. This circlip will have to be reinstalled after the new breathing is pressed in. Be careful to press in the new bearing by the bearing's outer ring only to avoid damage to bearing. Use appropriately sized socket wrench to drive in the new bearing.

Is it okay for the gear puller to be pulling on the housing as I have it positioned in the picture in my previous post?

No Title

The bearing seems tight and like new, so I decided to just replace the seal. The shaft seems to be smooth. The seal is visibly worn from the shaft spinning in it over time. Now I just need to find a new seal and do a pressure test to see if this solved the problem.

Attachments

• photo276542.jpg
    photo276542.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo276543.jpg
    photo276543.jpg
    195.4 KB · Views: 0
It terns out that the part number on the seal, DPSM16287, stands for double lip, 16mm i.d., 28mm o.d., and 7mm height. I just ordered two from Grainger for a little over $2 each.

dypcdiver

Lieutenant Junior Grade
If the seal has leaked, then water will have got to the bearing, so unless you want to repeat this job soon, may I suggest you replace the bearing too.

slag

Chief Petty Officer
Is there supposed to be an o ring on the shaft outside of the housing? It seems weird that there is an o ring riding on the shaft with nothing for it to seal.

It is weird. I always wondered that also, but I rebuilt mine 3 years ago and its still not leaking so... yeah.. no idea why its there.