Motor will only run when the coil is jumped.

mudchariot

Cadet
Motor will turn over fine, but will not run. I've gone through all the electrical system that I can think of and picked everyone's brain. No answers. I can run a jumper to the coil wire (purple) and the motor will start and run just fine. I've replaced the starter, alternator, cap, rotor, wires, plugs, all known fuses good, ignition resistor tested good, battery is charged... I'm out of ideas. Please help!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
What V-P are you working on? We don't know.

Have you tried tracing the purple wire back to it's source since that's where the ignition voltage to the coil comes from. From the sounds of it, you're throwing money and parts at instead of seriously troubleshooting.

mudchariot

Cadet
I traced the purple wire back to the alternator that's why I replaced it. It has circuitry on it and I thought maybe it went bad or got shorted. I don't know how the purple wire gets fed juice from there at all..... I don't know the circuitry...

dypcdiver

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Check the alternator is working, it supplies the power when the key moves from the start position.

mudchariot

Cadet
dypcdiver, I replaced the alternator bc I was figuring that's what the issue was. Not it. That's why I'm so baffled!

dypcdiver

Lieutenant Junior Grade
"It has circuitry on it and I thought maybe it went bad or got shorted."
That circuitry should be the diode. I still think next time you get the motor running with the coil jumpered, you need to check that the alternator is producing power, ie at least 13.6 volts.
During the cranking to start the power to the coil is supplied from the cranking circuit. The engine should fire. if it does not then you need to check that power is getting to the coil at that point.
If we knew what motor we are talking about perhaps a circuit diagram could be consulted.
The same circuit involves the fuel pump relay.

mudchariot

Cadet
4.3GL motor. The alternator(new) has the correct voltage while the engine is jumped at the coil and running. I put a new starter on because the old one was sticking, so that should eliminate that. The switch was replaced and the safety lanyard was bypassed to eliminate those as culprits. Are there any other safety switches in the circuit that would keep the engine from running? I don't have a wiring diagram so I can't look that up. Does anyone have one that they would share?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
The alternator has nothing to do with the ignition circuit. The diode from the alternator only energizes the fuel pump relay.

The next step to check is corrosion at the wiring harness connector.

mudchariot

Cadet
I will try and check that tonight. Does anyone have a wiring diagram for this motor? That would help a TON!!!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
its in the manual.

however, if you understand motors, you can understand the standard wiring colors
BlackGroundNegative / Neutral Main Return
Blue-StripeTilt up and or trim outTilt and or trim circuits
BrownAlternator Charge LightGenerator Terminal or Alternator Auxiliary Terminal to Regulator
Generator ArmatureGenerator Armature to Regulator
PumpsCircuit Breaker or Switch to Pumps
Brown w/YellowBilge BlowersCircuit Breaker or Switch to Blower
Dark BlueCabin & InstrumentCircuit Breaker or Switch to Lights
Green or Green w/Yellow StripeBonding SystemGrounding Wires (if insulated)
Green StripeTilt down and/or trim inTilt and or trim circuits
GreyNavigation LightsCircuit Breaker or Switch to Lights
TachometerTachometer Sender to Gauge
Lt. BlueOil PressureOil Pressure Sender to Gauge
OrangeAccessory FeedAmmeter to Alternator or Generator
Common FeedDistribution Panel to Accessory Switch
FeedAccessory Circuit Breakers or Switches
PinkFuel GaugeFuel Gauge Sender to Gauge
PurpleIgnitionIgnition Switch to Coil & Electrical Instrument
Instrument FeedDistribution Panel Electrical Instruments
RedInstrument FeedDistribution Panel to Electrical Instruments
Power FeedsPositive Main Power (particularly un-fused)
TanWater temperatureWater temperature sender to gauge
YellowGenerator FieldGenerator to Regulator Field Terminal
GroundNegative / Neutral Main Return
Yellow w/RedStarting CircuitStarting Switch to Solenoid

COLOR ITEM USE

mikemj

Cadet
have you tried the ignition control module and where are you jumpimg it from and to on the coil