aq130 C. Cooling lines are not Sealing..........

madstories

Seaman Apprentice
I've been trying to straighten out my cooling pipes so they stop leaking. I put new seals on and cleaned the exhaust manifold the best I can. There is corrosion in the exhaust manifold where the copper pipes go. Would RTV be a good solution in here? I'm not sure how long it will last there, or if the pressure would just blow it out in a short time frame. I was thinking of soldering them in, as I would still be able to get them out if need be, them in but I think the exhaust manifold might get too hot for that. Aside from buying a new exhaust manifold and pipes which is out of the question right now, what can be done?

Attachments

• 20170908_194558.jpg
    20170908_194558.jpg
    309.8 KB · Views: 0

am_dew

Chief Petty Officer
When I had my AQ130C engine replaced years ago, the mechanic put lots of black RTV around where the pipes connect and I have had no issues. But then again, if you ever wanted to remove them in the future, that would be a little difficult. Note that I am not condoning this but just wanted to offer some information.

Last edited:

madstories

Seaman Apprentice
Great, thank you. Somebody at the parts store recommended I use black RTV for the job. it is good to hear that it worked for somebody. Anyway the engine is out now and I won't be putting the cooling pipes back on until I install the engine back in the boat. Depending on how the never ending transom and Stringer job goes this may or may not happen in my lifetime.