SX outdrive engagement problems

gazkid

Cadet
Symptom - drive functions well/smoothly when cold but once engine and drive are warmed up, going from neutral back to forward becomes problematic. Prop doesn't engage unless engine is revved higher than usual - not the smoothest!

Details:
- The problem only occurs once engine and drive are warmed up.
- The problem only occurs when shifting into forward.
- You can hear the I/O engage when shifting forward but nothing happens until engine revs higher and then it suddenly fully engages - with a bit of a clunk unfortunately.
- I'm not the original owner of the boat, but since I've had it, forward has always shifted smoothly and silently, whereas reverse has always had a bit of a clunk to it, especially once engine is warmed up.
- l checked and adjusted the linkage to ensure the shift cable is working properly and moving the shift arm fully - which it does.
- I've always used the same Volvo recommended outdrive oil and checked to make sure that the level is right - which it is.
- 1998 SX mated to 3.0l
- Not sure how many hours on I/O

I've read about the possibility of the clutch cone needing to be changed. Does that sound right or is there something else I need to look into?

Thanks a ton!

Paul

Last edited:
I had the same problem with a Four Winns Volvo Penta 3.0 and I decided that rather than pay to have it all torn down I switched to a left-hand prop and switched the linkage at the back of the motor to operate forward and reverse
This worked fine and I still have a reverse that works when it's cold and with a small rev if needed. More details if interested.