Broken outdrive mount arm

jb1527

Cadet
Hello all. I'm a new forum member, but based on what I've read here I think some of you will have some ideas for my problem. I bought a 1985 Bayliner Capri, with a Volvo 270 I/O. I know...an old Bayliner, right? The price was great, the motor seems to run fine, and the fiberglass seems solid. Anyway, that decision is history.

Test drive was fine. First 60 seconds in the water of a week-long vacation, and we heard a very loud thump in the outdrive. Things seemed 'ok' (not great) after that - the boat was slower than I expected, trim wouldn't work, but otherwise, it moved us around. Putting it up on the trailer at the end of the week, we saw that the mount arm on the left side of the outdrive is broken completely through (see attached photo). No surprise that the trim stopped working after the loud thump - it uses that port side bracket to trim up. It was probably like this for 5 days in/on the water.

I think I can learn enough from YouTube, forums, manuals, *you*, and schematics to take the outdrive off and get it back on later. I'm hopeful that I might be able to get that broken bracket out of there and either repair/replace it in the process. But, I'm open to suggestions: (1) find a scrapped I/O somewhere and get another old bracket, (2) find and order a 'new' bracket somewhere, (3) repair the current bracket, somehow (maybe take it to a local metal shop?), (4) sell the entire boat for scrap and cut my losses.

My google-fu is failing me - I'm not able to call that broken part by its correct name, apparently - outdrive mount arm?

I doubt a new outdrive is a good plan - it looks like that option would double my investment to date. There's not a *huge* urgency to get back on the water right now, so I feel like it's worth a shot to do this myself and maybe save some mechanic's fees. Thanks in advance for taking a look - let me know if you need more information.

edit: bah. maybe because I'm new to the forum, I can't upload attachments. Here's a link to the image (sorry for the self-signed certificate): https://oc.gobowen.com/s/VWcaR8EfXipjHHW

kenny nunez

Captain
I could not pull up the picture but it appears that the part you are describing is the suspension yoke. It is not that hard to replace. All the mount bolts are fractional and common tools can do the job. The stainless tube that the yoke pivots on is a press fit but can be driven out with a hammer if you do not have a press. There are just a few "O" ring seals . Try to get a service manual and you will see how to do the job.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Pics won't open??
Try Shutterfly.

​This site has a link to Volvo Parts.
You can look there for replacement parts.
If it's the part I think??
​It probably costs more than the boat is worth??
Volvo OEM parts are CRAZY expensive.
There are lots of used parts out there.

You can post pics after 3 or 5 posts.

jb1527

Cadet
I finally read the site terms - it looks like after three posts I can upload pictures. Thanks to both of you. Kenny nunez - you're right, it's a suspension yoke/fork that's broken. With the right term, I found a bunch of them (used) for sale online. My order is in...now to get tearing it apart. Thanks again!

jb1527

Cadet
Thanks again for the advice. That yoke is integrated at every level of the outdrive, so removal of the top and intermediate housings was required. The repair manual was absolutely a necessity. As you might expect, I ended up buying all new o-rings and seals during the re-assembly process (that caused delays, since I didn't have the sense to order them all at once). This past Sunday, I got the boat back in the water, and everything was great. This was a fun project with a great end result!

jb1527

Cadet
Thanks again for the advice. That yoke is integrated at every level of the outdrive, so removal of the top and intermediate housings was required. The repair manual was absolutely a necessity. As you might expect, I ended up buying all new o-rings and seals during the re-assembly process (that caused delays, since I didn't have the sense to order them all at once). This past Sunday, I got the boat back in the water, and everything was great. This was a fun project with a great end result!