Volvo fuel pump issues

boatman37

Lieutenant
Looking at a 2000 Four Winns with twin 5.7 GSI's ans neither will run. i guess they ran fine a few years ago when the boat was parked. the outdrives were serviced and it was put away since then. a guy i know is pretty certain the issue is the paint chips in the fuel pumps. aren't there 2 pumps? how likely is it that both did it at the same time? i haven't looked this boat over much, just a quick glance and decided it was too big but now re-thinking it. anyway, he said both engines will run as long as he pours gas into the throttle bodies.

any thoughts on the plausibility of both getting plugged at the same time?

Thalasso

Commander
how likely is it that both did it at the same time?
Possible but not probable. I highly doubt it happened both at the same time. There is another issue

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
After sitting that long very possible the gas in the system went bad and has gummed up or clogged something. I start by removing all the old gas and cleaning out the lines and pumps.

boatman37

Lieutenant
I had thought about that but the guy that had been working on it said he is pretty sure that isn't the problem. Not sure how he came to that conclusion but it still keeps popping up in my head that it is bad gas.

Thalasso

Commander
I had thought about that but the guy that had been working on it said he is pretty sure that isn't the problem. Not sure how he came to that conclusion but it still keeps popping up in my head that it is bad gas.

How sure is pretty sure? replace the pumps isn't a cheap fix to find out that isn't the problem
Take a portable tank and plumb it to the pumps(by passing the tank in the boat) and see if it will run

dypcdiver

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Get hold of a fuel pressure gauge, cheap compared to replacing pumps. Do the fuel pump jumper test at the relay on both engines.

I had 2 issues with mine after sitting! 1st was the fuel injectors were stuck open. 2nd was the needle valve in the fuel reservoir had corroded and stuck open thus flooding my air intake.

Senior B

Petty Officer 1st Class
Lets talk fuel pumps: The Volvo Fuel cell has 2 pumps. A low pressure pump and a high pressure pump. The low pressure pump provides a steady supply of fuel to the reservoir that feeds the high pressure pump. As ethanol fuel ages and goes bad, it forms a oatmeal like mess that clogs fuel pumps and if left long enough will harden and seize up a pump. At the very least, the fuel module should be removed and dumped out, the water separator changed and the new one filled with fresh gas before it's put back on.

boatman37

Lieutenant
If I can be pretty sure it isn't an extremely high cost to fix then I may be interested providing it passes a hull survey. I think I may call them again to get a better look at it to see if anything else is needed. If I can fix the fuel issue for under $1000 (maybe even a little higher if I can get it for the right price) then I am good with that