1996 Volvo penta 5.0efi stalling

5.0FI Volvo Penta Stalling Issues
Today
I have 1996 Four Winns that has sat for 7 yrs. when I first pulled it out this spring I had the fuel pumped out and 91 octane non ethanol put in along along with some Lucas fuel cleaner. Motor would not start! Had it taken to the marina for further in investigation! Found the fuel injectors were stuck open. Replaced the fuel injectors took it to the lake and it would run but acted like it wanted to stall at 3000 rpm then would pick back up and run at 3000 then stutter again. Decided to change the fuel filter. Started it up and it ran for about 15 seconds then stalled. Could not get it fire back up. Found fuel coming out on the air intake. After much debate I unplugged the low pressure pump and cranked it over several times before she fired! Tried pluggging the low pressure pump in again and within 5 seconds stalled again. Unplugged it again and fired it back up! Plugged it back in just to be sure and yep stalled in 5 seconds again. Low pressure pump flooding it out? Is it the pump or electrical running the pump continuously?

alldodge

Staff member
Howdy

Your saying the motor is an EFI and that it is a 5.0 FI but is it a FI what?

Larson220

Seaman Apprentice
I have the same engine. I had the same problem. It is caused by the furl reservoir at the back of the engine flooding with fuel. Read this post: 5.8FSI fuel reservoir modification
June 25th, 2017, 12:17 PM

If you are able to make this modification, it will solve all your fuel issues. Good luck.

Thanks for the input! Makes a lot of sense given what I have been seeing! Will let you know how I make out.

Took reservoir apart today. Found needle valve stuck! So I was pumping gas straight to the air intake and flooding it out! I have it soaking in some BLASTER! Any other suggestions on loosening up this valve? It works but catches every once in a while.

ChrisinPHX

Seaman
No Title

One more thing. While you have this off, make sure this small hole is clear and unobstructed. If it gets blocked which is also common, water will not flow through the reservoir, and you will have more fuel pump problems. I actually drilled mine completely out so it can flow wide open and I have had no ill effects.

Attachments

• photo275120.jpg
    photo275120.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 3

ChrisinPHX

Seaman
No Title

Here's mine after I drilled that port out completely to do away with the small pin hole. Full water flow and no obstructions now. So no fuel vaporization and no fuel pump overheating.

Attachments

• photo275122.jpg
    photo275122.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 2
Soaking in the blaster seems to have done the trick! Put the reservoir cover back on. She's running like a champ!

ChrisinPHX

Seaman
Great! Inexpensive piece of mind to have this on hand, even if you don't use it for a while.

It sure is! $28!!!! I found the seal alone online for $56!! Thanks for all the help. Time to get on the water!