Starter Wiring Question

dmichaud2

Cadet
I have a 2001 Four Winns with a 5.0 Volvo Penta engine and I have starter issue that I believe I have traced down to a bad wire but before I run a new wire I would like a second opinion.

To start, I can start the engine turning on the key and jumping the relay (A to B) pins based on the guide here on the forums.
I have used a meter to verify the ignition switch is working (12V on the yellow/red wire output when key is turned to start.
I have verified the 12V is getting through the neutral safety switch and gets as far as the final wire harness before running into the guts of the boat.
12V does not reach the C pin of the relay harness.
I also checked the wire right before the harness to make sure its not a bad connection in the relay harness, no 12V there.
I also checked ohm meter mode, open connection from the wire connector under the dash (right before the wire runs into the boat) and the relay harness.

I can not get to that wire anywhere else to check, but I am not 100% sure there are no other components along the path. Should I run a new wire from the dash to to the relay or is there something I am missing?

Thanks!

alldodge

Staff member
You have a VP but think your using the general Merc trouble shooting guide.
You can jump A and B and starter will crank over.

So you have 12V on the Yel/Red wire leaving the key switch, but do not get 12V on the small Yel/Red wire at the relay (Letter C). This being the case then need to look at you neutral safety switch in the throttle handle.

attachment.php

dmichaud2

Cadet
Sorry, maybe my wording was not clear, couple notes.

1. I can start the engine by jumping the relay (it is a VP but it uses a relay to trigger the solenoid).
2. I have checked the 12V start signal is getting through the neutral safety switch but not all the way to the relay.

What I am not sure about is if there is anything between the safety switch and the relay. If not, then I must have a broken wire/connection in the bowels of the boat and I need to run a new wire.

alldodge

Staff member
What I am not sure about is if there is anything between the safety switch and the relay. If not, then I must have a broken wire/connection in the bowels of the boat and I need to run a new wire.

Nothing between it except the engine connector

dmichaud2

Cadet
That is what I was afraid of. I spent some more time this afternoon and checked the wire from right where it runs into the boat interior under the dash to where it comes out of the big bundle near the engine, its open (i.e. connection lost somewhere in there). I can run a new wire down the side of the boat no problem but it does make me afraid of losing others in the future. :)

Thanks for confirming it for me.

dypcdiver

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Most likely place is the big round connector on the STBD riser have you checked there?

alldodge

Staff member
If you can confirm its in the engine connector they make replacement pigtails