Volvo Penta 300 hp Forward Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

regal21surf

Recruit
We have a Regal 21 Rx Surf (with 300 hp VP forward drive). There is less than 40 hours on our boat; we absolutely love and are proud of our boat. However, it recently overheated requiring almost $1500 of out of pocket expense, which is a whole story in itself. First of all, just wanted to know how many boaters out there have actually purchased this new forward drive design, comments on the purchase, and if anyone has experienced any overheating issues? Love our boat, but may have made a huge mistake given the lake and canal we live on.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
welcome aboard

what year is the boat? has the maintenance schedule been adhered to?

was it determined that the raw waterpump impeller had failed? what was the cause of the overheat?

when it comes to raw water pumps. hours of use mean nothing. calendar time from installation to replacement is every 2 years (no mater if you ever run the motor or not) same as the bellows on your volvo-penta drive

the forward drive is a variation of the IPS drive. its been proven for years.

Maclin

Admiral
They work great, but like an inboard there is a lot of propeller unit below the boat that can't just tilt up out of the way.

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
Did you suck up some muck and clog the intake causing the overheating? I think those drives are best suited for deep water habitats as the drive can only trim up so much.

savage fro

Recruit
I have a Volvo Penta FWD drive (forward facing drive), for a surf boat, that is only 4 years old, but it has a leak. There is so much corrosion / erosion inside the dealer told me I need to replace the entire lower unit, costing over $10K. But, this boat has been used maybe 8 to 10 times per year, roughly, less than half in saltwater, always flushed and cleaned at the docks after any saltwater use, and is stored either in a garage or on a driveway, not in the water. This seems crazy. Does anyone know how this could happen in such a short time? Is the design maybe a problem for this unique FWD drive in saltwater?

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
You might want to start your own new post rather than tag on to a five year old thread. Open up a new posting and I`m sure you will get more input.

Status
Not open for further replies.