SX-M Propshaft Seal - Tools

tvogz

Seaman Apprentice
I have a leak behind my prop on the lower gear housing and would really like to replace the seal myself. I have the Volvo service manual and I am wondering which of the the Volvo tools I actually need? Going through the list it starts to add up fast, so I'm wondering from anybody who has done this which ones are essential and which ones can be substituted for something else.

further

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I had to replace my prop shaft seal last year and after researching and pricing out the tools i needed to the job, I decided to have a local mechanic do it. Don't get me wrong, I do pretty much everything I can myself, but the cost of the tools for this job were high and I found it wasn't worth it. Cost about $500 to have it replaced and mine was fairly well corroded - 20 year old outdrive.
Good luck

StingrayMike

Petty Officer 1st Class
When I had my sx-m I had to do the same thing. After doing some research on this internet and was able to find a thread about making your own removal tool.
If you are handy, I got a piece of steel pipe and cut notches it to fit inside the propshaft seal housing and drill holes through the end and was able to use a bar and remove the housing.
I dont remember the exact specs, but should be easy to look up.

tvogz

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks for the responses. Yes I've seen the homemade removal tools as well. Just wondering about the others for pressing the seal etc. seems like they suggest using parts of other tools. Did you do the bearing at the same time, or just the seals?

StingrayMike

Petty Officer 1st Class
I did the bearings aswell. I just used a block of wood and hammer to tap it in. Just need to make sure to do it evenly.

tvogz

Seaman Apprentice
Caravellemike- what did you use for the seal installation? I think I read somewhere on the form that it has a different profile and automotive installer would damage seal.

StingrayMike

Petty Officer 1st Class
I just used the automotive set. Maybe I got lucky, it never leaked. Didnt know there was a difference
for the carrier removal I stopped at my local metal shop, and purchased a 12 "piece of steel pipe with an internal diameter of 3"

Holding the 6" steel pipe up to the bearing carrier, I marked the 3 spots that needed to be notched out. Using a cut off wheel on my grinder, I cut out the 3 notches, about 1/2" deep.
I then drilled the holes in the end to pass a bar through.

tvogz

Seaman Apprentice
I got the parts and some of the tools I thought were necessary today and started to disassemble. Can this be done with the lower still mounted to the upper? I ask because it seemed like a real stretch to get the retainer out and I can picture this getting tricky when I need to get it back in. If I do pull it, should I break the bearing housing loose before I split the lower from the upper?

StingrayMike

Petty Officer 1st Class
It can be done attached to upper. to me seams better since it will give you something to leverage against.

Dave-R

Chief Petty Officer
When I did one last year, like Mike I made the tool with a piece of 2" pipe. And when the cradle or housing came out,I took it to the dealer where I bought the seal, and they pressed it on for free. Seal cost about 8 dollars. Dave-R

Jammer864

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The retainer is MUCH easier to re-install when the lower is removed. But with perseverence it can be done with the lower installed. Tip: Before screwing the bearing housing back in, attach the retainer and bolt to the bearing housing so they will be "inside" the drive after you have screwed in the bearing housing. The retainer may be slightly larger than the openings in the bearing housing and can be difficult to get back inside the drive after you have screwed the housing in.

Jammer864

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ive got all the factory tools to do this. If you are in the Missouri area, Id be happy to let you use them.