Need help with a no power issue on 5.7 GSI

ProfitOfDoom

Recruit
I have a 1999 Four Winns 245 Sundowner with a 5.7 GSI "pwtr" engine. This is my 2nd season with it and my problem is giving it power to get up on plane. It will start fine when cold,Idle all day,,go down the river nice,Never stalls. But when I get out of the river and go to throttle up it's hardly moving,,But it never stalls,bogs etc.
It seems that my rpms wont go over around 2200. It will take a bit,like maybe a 1/4 to 1/2 mile but it will gradually pick up speed and eventually get on plane,,then goes fine. RPM's will raise and can cruise just fine at around 28-30mph and around 3000-3200rpm.

I went over and checked a few things,Like replaced plugs,cleaned spark arrestor,new fuel,new fuel filter/water separator, Checked one way valve on fuel tank, ohm tested the coil,replaced distributor cap and rotor last season,Removed ignition module from the distributor cleaned reapplied dilectric grease,Checked the fuel pressure,,it holds at a constant 30psi underload or idle.

I was told to check the timing,I assume I did it right and assuming my "harbor freight" advanced timing light is accurate,It does look like my timing is off. This engine only has the single mark on the damper and a V groove timing tab. Looks like my manual calls for 8 degrees BTDC at the fixed 600rpm idle,So I turned the knob on the gun to 8,and checked it,,Its not lining up with the timing tab. It also says it should be at 19 degrees BTDC at 1600 RPM and that also doesnt line up.

From what I been reading these engine do not adjust from the old fashioned twist of the distributor,,These need jumper wires,,computers and who knows what else.
Before I go any deeper is there anyway for me to test the module to see if its faulty? Does is sound like it being off would cause the problem I described? Anything else to check? This is fuel injected TBI with about 600hrs. If you need any additional info,Please let me know,,Thanks for the help!

alldodge

Staff member
Boats dry weight is 4200 and the 5.7 is was rated as 280 HP. Largest motor available was the 7.4

Is this a new to you boat? Have you done a compression test?

Don't see it being the module, it either works or it doesn't. To set timing you need to place it in base timing mode. There is a Purple/White wired coming from the distributer with a jack plug end (item 13). Connect this to ground and then set timing.

Last edited:

ProfitOfDoom

Recruit
I guess im going to have to bite the bullet and do a compression test "im afraid" But this is my 2nd season with the boat and last year it didnt seem as bad as this year but could tell something wasnt right. I tried looking for the wire from distributor with the plug for setting timing,I couldnt find it. I only seen two plugs coming from the back of the distributor that are plugged into the module,,One set goes right to the coil and the other set goes into the main harness. Im assuming its off that set of wires? Could it be possible that it is taped up in the main harness? If I did find it,,you cant just ground it to set timing,I would need a special tool correct?

I'll look around for a compression tester,,Think a harbor freight one would do,,Or just rent one from a part store,,Or can you recommend a tester kit?
Im hoping to god it's not the actual engine,But usually when you have low compression dont you tend to burn oil? On a positive note this engine hasnt burned any oil.

I also seen there is a low pressure test valve on there,,I did a quick test today it read a steady 5psi,,That sound right?

alldodge

Staff member
Sorry I messed up, you should have the EST distributer, not the TBV
https://www.marinepartseurope.com/en/volvo-penta-explodedview-7744300-28-7481.aspx

To put in base timing mode place a jumper between pins A and B on the DLC connector
DLC base timing.jpg

The rpms should increase when installed for setting timing. May also need an advance timing light if the marks are not on the damper.

I'm hoping its not compression but need to start with the basics to see if that is the issue. If trouble is with the valves no oil will be burning, only if the rings are the issue.