Brand new boater. HELP!!!!!

jasondkramer

Recruit
I've got a "free " boat.. lol.. nice boat, but engine was dipped in salt water before parking it for 4 years. I've never had a boat before, but as it is from my brother in law, I thought, " how hard can it be. it's got to be in good shape right???" nope. What I've got is a Volvo/Penta aq131a "ish". I've replaced tons of stuff.. drilled and tapped a bunch of broken off bolts. looking for info/ advice on A. how the carb works.. can't accelerate without engaging the outdrive. so how does it choke? B. the raw water pipes going into the heat exchanger. just a rubber band at the enterance? how do I get that to stop leaking? is there a way to secure it better than just pushed in? C. best place to get parts??? I've been buying on Ebay. D. quick reference for setting points, or what to replace them with, E. any other useful info for a new guy with an early 90's Sterling 17 foot. Thank you all in advance. I could really use all the help I can get. trying to get it going for fair this week.

dennis461

Chief Petty Officer
I've got a "free " boat.. lol.. nice boat, but engine was dipped in salt water before parking it for 4 years. I've never had a boat before, but as it is from my brother in law, I thought, " how hard can it be. it's got to be in good shape right???" nope. What I've got is a Volvo/Penta aq131a "ish". I've replaced tons of stuff.. drilled and tapped a bunch of broken off bolts. looking for info/ advice on A.

how the carb works..
Very simple device.. take apart clean EVERY little passageway

can't accelerate without engaging the outdrive. '
Your throttle control should have an 'over-ride' mine pulls straight out a bit , then forward to raise engine speed keeping tranny neutral

so how does it choke?
It does not have a choke..., 'pump' the gas a few time before hitting the ignition
B.

the raw water pipes going into the heat exchanger. just a rubber band at the enterance?
o-ring, buy a metric assortment.
how do I get that to stop leaking? is there a way to secure it better than just pushed in?
probably a cracked or shrunken o-ring

C. best place to get parts??
Iboats and e-bay

? I've been buying on Ebay. D

. quick reference for setting points,
use a matchbook cover... 0.016
or what to replace them with,
points are a bit unique for the boat distributer- I modifed automobile points
E. any other useful info for a new guy with an early 90's Sterling 17 foot. Thank you all in advance. I could really use all the help I can get. trying to get it going for fair this week.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
welcome aboard

free boats are the most expensive boats in the world.

if the motor was dipped in salt, was it running prior to being parked?

the wiring harness will need to be replaced as salt water would have wicked up the wires and corroded them.

your controls should have a button at the base of the shifter arm. press it, then you disengage the shift detent and only have throttle.

jasondkramer

Recruit
free boats are the most expensive boats in the world. ---I've heard that.. lol

if the motor was dipped in salt, was it running prior to being parked? --- Yes, the "fan" belt had broken. Alternator was frozen up

the wiring harness will need to be replaced as salt water would have wicked up the wires and corroded them.---- is there a place to get those? or do I just make it up as I go?

your controls should have a button at the base of the shifter arm. press it, then you disengage the shift detent and only have throttle. ---- Nothing on this one. I'll try dennis461's idea of pulling it out., but no button..

[/QUOTE]

Thanks guys.. great start for me.