88 Volvo275 penta Power trim problems

Mitch C.

Cadet
My 88 has a single toggle switch with indicator light it's the 275 spa/mt 12 volt motor worm gear and black box with relays inside coming back to the dock yesterday the indicator light went out and the trim will only go up won't go down at all I just replaced the 12 volt motor two weeks ago it was working great until yesterday any ideas what it could be

kenny nunez

Captain
Take a look at the limit switch which is screwed onto the top of the lift unit. Make sure the wires are connected. Also it could be a bad relay.

Mitch C.

Cadet
Thanks I just purchased the boat back in the spring do you know if the indicator light is supposed to stay on all the time when the ignition is on that's what is was doing till yesterday I checked all connections they are good I will start replacing relays next

djhinca

Cadet
Indicator light should be on only when the outdrive is partially raised. It should be adjusted such that when the outdrive is fully in the down position, the light should go out and power to the drive motor should be disconnected.

kenny nunez

Captain
In reference to the above post on the pilot light. When the drive comes down and the jack screw rises it contacts the switch that is screwed onto the top of the lift unit. The micro switch stops the motor from running and breaking the top off of the lift unit.

Mitch C.

Cadet
So I replaced the 2 relays and accidentally hooked up one side wrong should have worn my glasses blew the main engine fuse it's a 88 Volvo penta 275 went back and found my mistake with the wiring tried it again and blew the fuse again put the old relays back in replaced the fuse the fuse is not blowing but the engine won't crank what in the world did I do ?