Water spray around belts

girraf

Cadet
flushing out the engine today I noticed an intermittent misting of water Eminating from just under the recirc pump on the front on my engine. It's definitely not coming from the raw water pump. It's hard to tell exactly the source because when it happens, the misting water makes it hard to see. Does this sound like I'm looking at replacing the recirc pump? Seems odd to me to be intermittent, and it doesn't seem to trend with engine rpm either. I was thinking I could run through the rest of summer keeping an eye on it and then doing to hard mx over winter. Also if I need a new pump, and tutorials on how to replace it and which model number I can replace it with?

It's a VP 5.7L GL

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... If the circulatin' pump is leakin', there'll be water present in the weep hole on it's snoot when ya turn the motor off,....

If it's leakin',.... It'll get worse,....

It's a fairly easy job, 'n just a standard run of the mill marine SBC water pump,....

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
if it is the engine circulating pump, you will have residue coming from the bearing weep hole like Bondo mentioned.

dizzy1

Seaman
Had same thing and it was the inner seal behind the impellor. It leaks and water drips thru that weep hole everyone mentioned at the bottom of the back of the pump. It drips down just right to get to the belt that then sprays it around. Took a while to figure out where it was coming from. The seal is on ebay for like $10-15 and pretty simple to replace out.

girraf

Cadet
Good to know it might be as simple as a seal. I think I'll let it ride for now and hope I can still do some boating until the fall and then do a pump overhaul with some new belts all around along with the other winterization tasks.

dypcdiver

Lieutenant Junior Grade
If you are in salt water, then things are going to get very corroded.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
If its the seawater pump, take care of it while you still can repait/rebuild before you need to replace

If its the circulating pump, replace it soon

Water weeping means that a seal has failed, and the bearings now have water vs grease in them

girraf

Cadet
Appreciate all the feedback. I do boat in brackish water and figured the bearing pack would get destroyed more quickly than freshwater. Guess I'm taking the boat out of service sooner than anticipated!

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Its an easy job, you will be back boating in about 2 hours

girraf

Cadet
Got the recirc pump removed yesterday. I also pulled all 3 belts (raw water, power steering and alternator). I've got some surface rust on the water pump pulley that I was going to wire wheel and repaint. I was also thinking about installing a fresh set of belts. What's the best way to select the right replacement parts? I'm in the market for a new recirc pump and some new belts. Engine was originally a charcoal series from 1998 (Believe it was a 5.0GL PBYC model) but it was repowered with a new GM 350 block that re-used all the old components/accessories a few years ago. From the sticker on the electrical box mounted to the left riser, I see a serial #4110164027 for the original power unit, but it was hard to read some of those numbers might be wrong. I'm under the impression that anything that fits that original 5.0 GL should be compatible with my slightly larger engine.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
the 5.0 and 5.7 share the same components.

what I normally do is look up the parts on volvopentastore.com and look up the part numbers then search for replacements on sites like iBoats.

http://www.volvopentastore.com/Mari...on_id.652670040--store_id.366--view_id.765210

for belts, I normally hit my local Napa and have them measure what you have. you can get the pump at Napa as well as they are the only parts store that can look up marine parts.

girraf

Cadet
About how much should the water pump cost? Napa has one that looks correct for $160. Is that the going rate?

Scott Danforth

Staff member

girraf

Cadet
Thanks Scott for the research. Didn't intend to have you do the leg work for me but I'll take it!

girraf

Cadet
No Title

I finally was able to get the water pump flange to release the pulley and get a good look at both. Found the weep holes everyone was talking about. By the looks of this pump, the lower weephole sure shows signs of water leakage. Time to clean up the pulley rust with a wire wheel, re-paint and install a pump and some belts. Thanks for all the help.

Attachments

• photo274214.JPG
    photo274214.JPG
    76.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo274215.JPG
    photo274215.JPG
    76.3 KB · Views: 0

girraf

Cadet
I got around to installing the new recirc pump today and some fresh v belts for the alternator and power steering pump. I noticed that my PS pulley is quite askew when fully tightened which I'm sure will ruin a brand new belt in short order. Is the correct solution simply shimming with washers until alignment is correct.

Augoose

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Do you have any photos of the engine bay you can reference to see if the PSP was out of alignment before? When you re-installed the circ. pump, are you sure you put the bolt with the two washers in the correct place? When you installed the pulley on the pump, are you sure you installed it flush?

girraf

Cadet
I did take photos but none from directly overhead which would show the alignment issue. I was more concerned with making sure I could put everything back together correctly and wanted reference photos. There were no washers on the install that I dismantled originally. Should there have been? The belt that was one there was severely worn or undersized so perhaps the new belt accentuated the misalignment as well. I never removed the PSP pulley, just dismounted it from the engine block and set it on the floor of the bilge.