Game Changer saga coming to the end

BarryTurano

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Pretty sure most of you know that for 3 years now I have had all sorts of motor issues with my boat. I will not go over all of the disappointments, lost sleep, monies spent and aggravation. It would take too many pages and there is so much I probably could not remember it all. Lets just say the beginning issue was a parts changer (I won't even call him a mechanic) that first surveyed the motor and told me it was good. He was recently the subject of a post on another site.
But I digress my current mechanic was going by the information that I was given regarding motor condition. After an untold number of hours and others looking at the boat, we hauled it out. Performed leak down and compression test. Stopped after 3 cylinders. Here are the results: First 3 cylinders tested were 180 pounds compression 10 % leakage. Next was 150 pounds compression 15% leakage. Next was 110 pounds compression 75% leakage. Stopped at that point. I was running a maximum of 7 cylinders, probably less. No wonder it ran like crap if I went past 3500 rpm's.
So I am re-powering with a 5.7 which will give me about 300 HP. I had a 5.0 which was 250HP when it was fuel injected. Probably was 225 when I went to carburetor and probably 200 HP as it is now.
Sometimes when a deal seems to good to be true. IT IS!!!!! Lesson learned.
Mikes Marine Service in Hampstead is doing my re-power. Should be ready middle of next week. Marine Service and Repair will still be doing my service work. Hopefully the man up stairs keeps the fan off for the fall. Need to break this motor in right and can't think of a better way than running it and getting the deck bloody.

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
I sure hope the re-power gets and keeps you on the water (mine has, so far).- sure is great to feel/hear that thing push us along smoothly

Happy boating, and Thank You for your service!

Dave-R

Chief Petty Officer
Barry I could tell you a story that would pull a hankie out of your pocket. I bought a sunken Cobalt that sunk on it's maiden voyage. I replaced over 10,000 dollars worth of everything electrical including engine and all gauges. And to top it off, the first time out after about four hours I got a rod knock on the new engine. So I pulled it out again,pulled everything off, had them go through the engine. Then put everything back on and install the engine again. I had a lot of problems along the way, with all the electronics on the engine. With the help of a Rinda, and all the guys here at I-boats, I now have a fantastic boat that also runs great. At 67 years old, I did all the work myself. I did take the boat to a dealer where it sat for 90 days and they could not get it running. I like to think I can still fix things, and am still stupid enough to try. Good luck and hope you also have a happy ending. Dave-R

BarryTurano

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have been fixing everything with my brain (hence not sleeping well for 3 years) I was using common sense to figure problems. Worse part was always in the back of my mind I'm thinking "bad motor, bad motor" Some of the things I have done: Rebuilt vst, changed LP and HP fuel pumps, had ECM re-worked, put new injectors in and new MAP, knock, temp, and oil pressure sensors. Got disgusted and pulled entire fuel injection system. Changed wiring harness went to carb. Put in all new fuel lines selector valves, double fuel water separators, hotter plugs, hotter T stat. Changed distributor to HEI, changed wires. New carb (twice) had the last NEW carb rebuilt. Found a leak in the intake manifold gasket replaced gasket. Went from a 15 psi fuel pump to a 7 psi fuel pump back to the 15 psi fuel pump with a pressure regulator. Change anti siphon valved, removed anti siphon valves. That's what I can remember for now. All the while thinking "bad motor, bad motor" Guess what? It WAS a BAD MOTOR

Dave-R

Chief Petty Officer
After reading your repairs, I promise not to ever whine out loud again. Old dog and new tricks for me. I have always read, do a compression test first. I never learn. I always think it needs something else. Dave-R

BarryTurano

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Worse thing was that little voice that was saying bad motor, bad motor. I don't know why I believed the "parts changer" that everything was fine. Pisses me off because I ALWAYS trust my gut. Lesson learned!!! All I can do now is look ahead.

mklearl

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm going through the exact same thing now. Dead cylinder in a 5.0gi. Went to a 5.7 with a 4bbl carb. I sunk tons of $$ into her before. I got her to run pretty good after sitting for 12 years but there was that same little voice in the back of my head telling me something just wasn't right. I was missing about 1000 rpms since I got it running. The money hurt the nest egg a bit but the knowledge I gained tinkering with it for 2 years was invaluable.
I also wenter with a fresh water cooling kit for this one. A slow down for waiting on parts and being the height of the season I'm going on 4 weeks now for the installation. Just got the call yesterday that it was running and all set! I'm actually on my way to Hempstead Harbor right now on a tugboat with 5200 tons of sand. Getting off tomorrow to get home for the test run!
What do you have for an out drive? Are you anticipating having to change the props?

BarryTurano

Petty Officer 2nd Class
It's funny about the props. She came with D5's. I was having them reconditioned when the prop shop told me this was the last time he could do them I guess they were getting to thin. So in my infinite wisdom (insert laugh here) I figured I have lost RPM's so I will try D4's. Gained a few RPM's but then they started to drop as the motor got worse. So now I am unsure what I will be doing, I guess I will go over to the prop shop and see if they can give me any ideas. I am running a Volvo Penta 290 Duo Prop. Double the expense. Gee I forgot to add the new wheels to the list of fixes that didn't work.

mklearl

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yep. I had d5''s on mine as well. I'm curious to see the performance as I too had lost rpms due to engine issues and not the props. If I do have to change them I may look into the new I series which are a replacement. We'll see what happens. I have a 1.95:1 ratio dpsm. I'll keep you posted. Maybe I can be your guinea pig!

BarryTurano

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Please let me now how it runs with the D5's and I will tell you how the D4's are. What kind of boat are you running? I have a 1999 Albemarle 24cc

mklearl

Petty Officer 1st Class
No Title

1981 28' master marine.

Attachments

• photo254064.jpg
    photo254064.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 0

BarryTurano

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

5.0 was pushing you!? That's one hell of a boat for 250 hp to move.

Attachments

• photo220387.JPG
    photo220387.JPG
    163.5 KB · Views: 0

mklearl

Petty Officer 1st Class
My compression check last year didn't show any problem as far as I could tell. Or that i wanted to swe! That hull is a deep v. I made 30 knots at 3300rpms. Only 8 feet wide but cuts like a knife.

mklearl

Petty Officer 1st Class
There was some speculation that it was the tach and not the motor. I never did rule that out. In the end... full of fuel (150 gallons) and the family of 4 I couldn't get 17 knots. It was time!

BarryTurano

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hate to say it but we asked about compression nearly 3 years ago:
http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engin...45-i-surrender
post #13 and #14

You said later it was fine. Is this something that happened more recently then?

No it has been going down hill for a while. Almost to the point of thinking it's just normal for this motor. Amazing what you can get used to. When I bought the boat the "parts changer" supposedly did a compression and leak down and told me every thing was fine. A few months later when I put the carb on it ran well got to 4400 rpm's with a painted bottom and ran 39.6 mph. It started to go down hill after that. Had two voices inside my head one saying bad motor, the other saying everything checked out and it was running good. Must be something else. It couldn't be a bad motor. It was sort of like the old cartoon with the angel on one shoulder and the devil on the other. Both whispering in your ear. God knows I have enough voices in my head. With all that I have spent $ wise I probably could have re-powered twice.At this point I am putting the past behind I do not want to look back. Because if I do I will wind up behind bars for visiting violence upon someone. Then I will be unable to see how the new motor runs. I need to keep positive thoughts and continue looking forward.

BarryTurano

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Been 26 years since I was even in a bar. Put a major stress test on my liver from the Navy. The liver is incredible organ. Sort of like a Timex Watch "takes a licken and keeps on tickin":laugh:

Last edited:

mklearl

Petty Officer 1st Class
Please let me now how it runs with the D5's and I will tell you how the D4's are. What kind of boat are you running? I have a 1999 Albemarle 24cc

Just checking back with you. D5s and it's running good. I'm getting 24 knots at 3200 rpms. I haven't gone much more than that for the break in. I bumped it up to about 4000 for about 20 seconds and had it over 30 so I'm happy. Not much left on the throttle though so I may go down to the d4s. Well see what I get at wot. It is sluggish to gain rpms... kind of like going uphill on a manual transmission car in 5th gear... it'll do it but it just takes time to get some speed up. 1.95:1 ratio has a lot of torque... I'm not sure I want to put that strain on the engine to get rpms up. So like I said... d4s may be the way to go. Other than that I'm extremely happy! Good luck!

BarryTurano

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The D4's will probably be a lot better out of the hole. Just be aware they do not sell the D4 as a set you need to by each wheel as an individual. Which I guess is better if you wreck one you don't have to buy both. Interesting is the forward prop on the d4 is a 4 blade and the aft prop is a 3 blade. If your boat is lugging now how was it when you had the 5.0? Just so you know for me to get 24 knots I would be about 3800 rpm's. I would be ecstatic with 24 knots at 3200 rpm's. Should know this week.