1971 Silverline Samoa 19V......starter

MTJames

Seaman
Now that I have most of the cosmetic thing done on this (what's going to be) beauty, I started on the hearbeat of the boat. I didn't start, so I took out the starter and it was froze up. Cleaned it up, sprayed some "break free" on it and now it spins. Tested it out and the gear isn't pushing out to engage the flywheel. Now been searching around for a replacement starter and spent about an hour at the parts place trying to cross reference the numbers and looking at pictures to find a suitable replacement. The starter is torn apart, just to see if I cold get the gear to slide back and forth. Figured it was a long shot, but shy not give er the old college try. LOL

The old starter is a Bosch part number 0 001 311 048.

I have found starters that were a close numbers match, but not exact numbers match. I looked it up at several parts places online and the number that is stamped on the starter is definitely not what it is in the pictures. LOL The pics showed a 3 hole, yet this one is a 2 hole mount. Style is about the same, but again not exact with the 3 hole mount. Does anyone have a good place to cross reference the old starter part number to a current starter?

Oh and this is with the AQ170A Volvo/Penta I/O motor.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Now been searching around for a replacement starter and spent about an hour at the parts place trying to cross reference the numbers and looking at pictures to find a suitable replacement.

unless the parts place was NAPA (the only automotive place that has a cross-reference to marine parts) or a dedicated rotating electric repair shop, you just wasted an hour of your life.

in the US, volvopentastore.com. outside the US, marinepartseurope.com

MTJames

Seaman
I did more digging and found in the Seloc book I have, that the part number for that Bosch I took off worked for the motor, but was not what was supposed to be on the boat. At least according to the book. The last 3 numbers were to be 032, vs. 048. Crossed referenced/looked that up and there it was.

I was at O Reilly's. That is the normal place I go to. They have a good cross reference to marine as well (at least up here in Montana) and cheaper than NAPA. ;-)

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Throw the seloc manual away and look up the factory manuals online

MTJames

Seaman
I got the old one torn apart and cleaned up. With the boat sitting for 17 years it was froze up with rust. Cleaned it out, lubed it up and worked great on the test machine. Now to get the battery charged up (POS yellow top) and give it a try. Great info, BTW everyone, thanks again. Right now just looking to get enough power out of the starter to crank the motor enough for compression checks. Will get the new starter later, since it's not quite water ready. Hoping will get her out before boating season is done, this year. But first it has to get below 120 in my garage, during the day. LOL

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Take it to a starter rebuild shop.
​Then you'll have the same thing that you'll get from Sierra.
Most starters are rebuilds anyway.
Unless you get the OEM but you PAY for that.