Does this Alodine 1201 Application Look Right?

rcollette

Cadet
Bead blasted, filled with Marine-Tex Gray, sanded to 240 grit, cleaned with acetone, etched with Bonderite C-IC 79 Aero, Rinsed with Water before it could dry as per instructions, applied BONDERITE M-CR 1201 AERO, left it on for a few minutes and rinsed before it could dry as per instructions.

There's drip marks that sort of look rust colored but the 1201 is roughly the same color. I was expecting a more even color applying it. I told the blaster they can't use sand and he said they don't use any sand in their shop (something to do with silica being harmful).

Does anyone know from first hand experience if this kind of coverage is to be expected?
https://photos.app.goo.gl/MKnyZuRXxV6ikKiA2

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
looks normal for etching aluminum

now hit with primer and paint

further

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Yep, that's the way mine looked after using alodine on my outdrive...

rcollette

Cadet
Thank you guys for the feedback. I'm much more at ease now. I wasn't planning on priming because the alodine is supposed to be like a primer and I'm also using POR-15 2k which should pretty much seal itself on there.

Paint should be started this Saturday and with any luck assembly on Sunday. I'll have a full write up on it soon after that.

MTJames

Seaman
The primer is used so the paint will stick, not just as another layer of water resistance. The alodine looks about right. I wouldn't believe any paint system that claims to be self priming. As a personal preference, always prime before you paint, and always treat the bare metal before you prime.