Shift cable on volvo penta sx-m

Antti84

Seaman Apprentice
Hi!

I bought a boat earlier this year and just serviced my sx-m outdrive (new cylinders,hoses and bellows)
Now when I hooked up everything together the shift cable is very stiff when I try to move the lever from
Neutral to fwd.When I move it backwards,it moves freely as it should.

Does these symptoms mean that the shift cable needs to be replaced?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
depends, did you adjust properly? disconnect the cable at the drive and try it.

Augoose

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Cable pinched or not seated in clip properly during outdrive install?

Antti84

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

Augoose,that was correct.The cable had pinched during installation. I have a OMC control lever,anyone has done this and could tell the procedure of loosening the shifter cable from the lever? The area around the lever on my chris craft is fibreglass,so I can not get access behind the lever easily

Attachments

• photo272587.PNG
    photo272587.PNG
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Augoose

Lieutenant Junior Grade
No Title

I've got the same remote. Is this on a Chris Craft Bow Rider? What are you trying to do? Are you replacing the shift cable? There is a friction screw on the remote which is adjustable if that may solve your problem.

Each cable terminates and connects to the remote via a pin and cotter pin. On my '99 I can open the compartment behind the dash and reach down behind the molded fiberglass to where the remote is.

First, remove the allen lock screw which holds the remote handle onto the remote assembly - its at the bottom of the remote. Very hard to see but its there. Often times a thick black cable is in the way. Once the allen screw is loose, you can shake and slide the handle towards you to remove it. There will be a black cable connected to the handle but you can pull slack through and set the handle on the floor.

Now you need a helper- have them reach in through the passageway and hold the remote while you remove the mounting screws. Once the mounting screws are released use care because the remote assembly will want to fall back inside the passageway. Also be mindful of two wires which connect with spade connectors to the front of the assembly - don't forget to ensure they are connected when you put everything back together.

While your helper holds the assembly, you can reach in through the hole where the assembly was mounted and remove whatever cable you want.

Attachments

• photo272667.jpg
    photo272667.jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 7

Antti84

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

Thanks for the information! I have a 210 Cuddy and I need to loosen the shiftcable on the lever,in order to replace it. Thanks for the information about the allen screw.I have found it but is having some problems to get it out. You would not remember what size the allen screw was? I went and bought a set of "inch" size allen key,as I live in Europe,but I have not found the right size yet.I guess the black cable is in they way and it's a real PITA.. Btw,Is the shift cable the upper or lower cable on the linkage.

Attachments

• photo272924.PNG
    photo272924.PNG
    1 MB · Views: 3

Augoose

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I don't recall what size the allen is nor do I remember if it was imperial or metric. To see the slot where the allen goes, I had to lift the captain's chair off the pedestal and lie down on the floor to look up. Even with a flash light it was difficult but its up there. Just back it out a few turns - you don't need to remove it all the way. Also the remote needs to be in neutral.

As for the shift cable, both my cables are connected to the top- however, in the picture I attached in the last post, the shift cable is the newer looking of the two (shiny brass vs dull) and is connected to the linkage which has more than one connection option (see photo).

dlk4602

Cadet
When I did mine, it was a 1/8" allen wrench. Also, it helped to discount the throttle cable at the throttle body to get more travel on the control handle to access the set screw.

For my 21' bowrider, this is the cable I used: www.boatersland.com/tel-cc21414.html

Last edited:

Antti84

Seaman Apprentice
1/8"was the correct size..However I had to put the lever into 3o clock and the allen screw was at 9 o clock.
It was quite easy when I used the right tool.

Thanks for help