Replacement Valve Covers - Stay OEM? Cheaper alternatives?

dhardest

Seaman
I have a 2007 VP 5.0 GXi-G and as I was working on the steering actuator I noticed some rust around the edges of the valve covers. This winter I'm planning to replace the exhaust manifolds and risers, and while I am at it I may replace the valve covers as well. VP wants $125 and $102 for their OEM covers. But with some online searches I am getting the impression that that these covers are a standard size and that there may be some decent alternatives, either after market or other brands that are a cross reference match (such as GM). Can anyone offer any advice on this?

Part numbers for the covers for my engine are:
Starboard: 3856928
Port: 3856927

Thanks,
Dennis

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
and GM wants $30 a pair for the exact same valve covers. its a frigging small block chevy (your choices are perimeter bolt (1955-1985) or center bolt (1986 and later). go to your local auto parts store

you can get a pair of carbon fiber covers for $70 or polished aluminum ones with cool flame graphics in them for about $70. the stock stamped steel ones are $30

RCSConstruction

Chief Petty Officer
Cheap, used freshwater ones can be had on eBay all day.
Once you take the covers off, you'll probably find all you need to do is a little sanding a repainting though. Mine had the same issue

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
reman heads and valve covers painted.jpg Just treat the rust with rust converter and spray em up. Screw Volvo and their parts highway robbery.

dhardest

Seaman
Thanks for the tips everyone. I found these with a quick search. At first glance they look similar and have similar holes in the covers for the flame arrester, etc. This item description gives dimensions. Before I buy would be good to double=check the dimensions just to make sure they're a match. And then look for Volvo Penta red paint to match the rest of the engine.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-g3319b/overview/make/chevrolet

Would the same philosophy apply to the gaskets? VP wants $50 each side for the gaskets. This same site offers them for $15.99 a pair and a set of bolts for $9.

Is this for real, or is there something I'm missing? Seems absurd that there's this big a difference in price for basically the same parts.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
see post #2.

buy ford red engine paint, not quite a perfect match, however you cant really tell.

get the felpro gaskets

volvo and mercruiser buy the motors from GM. its a truck motor. they buy the parts from GM parts direct too (for slightly less than the same price you and I can buy them for). then they need to have a few buildings with people in them to putt them, inventory the parts, re-package the parts, shelve the parts, market the parts, then ship the parts, etc. that all takes overhead. so both volvo and mercruiser must charge at least 2.4x what a part costs to cover the overhead.

cut-out the middleman and you save about 240%

your question was to stay OEM or not. if you wanted OEM, you should have bought from the GM dealer (about same cost as summit)

dhardest

Seaman
OK - Thanks so much for the advice. I'll go ahead and buy these items ($65 gets everything - both covers, both gaskets and a set of 8 bolts), and get them painted up and ready to go for this winter when it comes time.

"if you wanted OEM, you should have bought from the GM dealer ...." I guess that's true!