Seeking Cone Clutch Replacement advice: Volvo SX-M1 paired to a 5.7GM replacement

rubyme8

Recruit
I recently purchased a boat where the previous owner had replaced the original 5.0L engine with a 5.7L. We took it on a sea trial and everything was great until we got back to the dock and idled for a bit then all of a sudden the boat wouldn't shift into forward, reverse worked fine but no forward. The seller assured me it was only the shift cable that needed to be adjusted because he had recently replaced it. We went back, tightened it a bit and I saw the prop spin when forward was engaged so went ahead and purchased it (even though I thought it was odd that I never heard the drive "drop" into gear). Problem was when I took it to the lake the next day and had the same issue as soon as I launched the boat, reverse worked fine but the boat would not engage forward. This was when I noticed the prop spun in the water just enough to move the boat but it was definitely not in gear. The drive eventually went into gear and I cruised around for the day and didn?t have an issue until returning to the dock again at the end of the day when it happened again.

I?m fairly confident the shift cable is working as intended and the issue is with the cone clutch mechanism, I just want to make sure I exhaust all ?easy? options before trying to replace the clutch of paying someone else to replace it.

Tomorrow I plan to make sure my gear oil is at the proper level. In an effort to remove any glazing I?d like to try running the drive for 30min to an hour with a mix of ? 75w90 synthetic blend gear oil with ? mystery oil, does anyone see any potential harm from doing this?
After running this through I would replace with the Volvo Full Synthetic 75w90 and evaluate any difference.

If the gear oil doesn?t make any difference I think my next option is going to be doing the clutch? has anyone replaced a cone clutch on a Volvo SX and have any advice? It looks like the only special tool I would need is something to hold/lock the shaft, any other special tools?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Check the adjustment don't don't bother with the Marvel Mystery oil. Not even sure what that would accomplish.

Out of curiosity, how did you guys adjust the shift cable? Down at the drive right?

kenny nunez

Captain
If the drive has the wrong oil that may be the problem. It should be 30# motor oil. Worse case if it does not not start engaging, the cone clutch has to be either glass bead blasted or lapped in with grinding compound.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
If the drive has the wrong oil that may be the problem. It should be 30# motor oil. Worse case if it does not not start engaging, the cone clutch has to be either glass bead blasted or lapped in with grinding compound.
Not in an SX-M1. It is Synthetic 75W-90 Gl-5 gear oil.