Partial Disengagement on nutral on Volvo Penta 4.3L GL (2007) with SX-A drive

Shamadur

Recruit
Hello,

(I'm apologizing if I'm using some wrong terms. I'm nooby in marine mechanics)

Bought the boat at the end of last season with almost dead engine.
Engine was recently replaced for the new one by automobile mechanic without touching anything from the drive side. The new engine is Marine Chevi S/N:Q221402

Started the engine and it works like a song, but can hear from the drive that it is not completely disengaged from the engine (some faint mechanical rubbing noise).
When increase RPM, seems like the noise disappear but not 100% due to engine noise.
When moving gear shift handle to FWD/Reverse, prop is spinning with no issue.

Did some research and it's looks like I have to adjust shift cable (maybe I'm wrong).
Any comments or procedure will be much appreciated.
Thanks

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Hello,

(I'm apologizing if I'm using some wrong terms. I'm nooby in marine mechanics)

Bought the boat at the end of last season with almost dead engine.
Engine was recently replaced for the new one by automobile mechanic without touching anything from the drive side. The new engine is Marine Chevi S/N:Q221402

and that is your problem.

most automotive mechanics dont know s#it about boats, and most are too "smart" to look up the proper proceedure

you HAVE to pull the drive prior to pulling the motor
you HAVE to align the motor/gimble if you so much as touch the mount

so pull your drive
buy the alignment bar (ebay)
align your motor.

that noise you hear is your seriously out of alignment drive/motor eating the coupler

while you have the drive off, inspect the gimble bearing, replace as required. inspect the u-joints

Bondo

Staff member
that noise you hear is your seriously out of alignment drive/motor eating the coupler

Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,.... I agree with Scott,....

The noises are the coupler, gimbel bearin', 'n u-joints, protestin' the abuse of mis-alignment,....

Shamadur

Recruit
Try changing the oil in the drive. The only oil should be 30# motor oil.

Thanks all.

The oil in drive is new.

Is it difficult to align the drive by myself?
I have pretty good technical skills and I found drives' shop manual (haven't reviewed it yet). Or there are pitfalls and special tools needed?

mikeneal

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Please dont listen to 30w motor oil guy. It should have Volvo 75-90 synthetic oil only!
Thanks all.

The oil in drive is new.

Is it difficult to align the drive by myself?
I have pretty good technical skills and I found drives' shop manual (haven't reviewed it yet). Or there are pitfalls and special tools needed?

Shamadur

Recruit
Just to share my experience in case some one will face same problem.
Eventually did alignment in shop.

When tried on the water, after running new engine on low RPM (2500-3000) for 2 hours, tried to get more RPM, but couldn't get more then 3000.
When on neutral, had more then 4000 with no problem.

After some t-shooting, found ignition was rotated almost 30 degrees on high RPM's.
Adjusted and now runs like a dream)