' 99 Volvo 5.0GL PBYC, Hot Coil

larson24

Cadet
Installed new non-resister coil in my 5.0 GL ( BID ignition), primary and secondary windings checked sat before installed, a half hour on the garden hose and I could only keep my hand on it for a few seconds, seems way too hot? All connections are correct and tight, any thoughts???

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Coils do get pretty warm. What is the resistance of the primary windings? Should be 1.5 nominal.

Are you having running issues?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
coils get to about 170-180 if they are bolted to the motor

muc

"Retired" Association of Marine Technicians...
The Prestolight BID ignition system has had more than its share of problems.
One of them is they really don't like sitting for more than a few minutes with the key on and engine not running.
The Delco EST is a very good replacement.

Sensor gap seems to be important (it's recommended that you use a brass feeler gauge to check and adjust it)
One of the other problems with this system is that as the distributor shaft bearing wear, this will cause sensor gap to become erratic while the engine is running. This causes the coil to run hotter than it should and eventually the ignition modual to fail.

Suggest that you check sensor gap and distriburator shaft play.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
The Delco EST is a very good replacement.
That is a good suggestion. I have one ready to be put in my Wellcraft in my signature because it currently has one of these systems that was only used a couple years.

larson24

Cadet
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll double check the sensor gap, if all else fails I'll put a points distributor in and run a resister coil, that's what I had in it before putting it back to factory specs, but I took it out cause I was getting soot on the plugs and thought it might be from low voltage.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I would definitely go with the Delco EST before putting a points distributor back in. The kits aren't that expensive. and come with everything including new spark plug wires and coil

larson24

Cadet
Ok, thanks, the reason for going back to points was mainly to run a resister coil in hopes it will not run as hot. Just a guess. Trying to keep this low budget, will sell boat soon but don't want to dump problems in the next guys lap.

larson24

Cadet
Any thoughts on the possibility of running a resister coil w/ the BID ignition module? Would that keep the coil from getting so hot?