4.3GL Volvo Penta doen't run well under load, RPM stuck at 2000

bluesound

Recruit
I've seen others complain about this but no answers that made sense. Our 2008 Regal runabout runs fine but once I engage the prop it only goes to about 2000 RPM and then struggles to go any higher. Occasionally it'll break free and run up to 3000 or even 4000 but next time out I'm stuck at low rpm again. Thus far we've replaced the fuel filter/water separator and all ignition parts so I'm guessing it's a Carburetor issue. We've run cleaners though it but didn't help. When I called Holley Carbs they suggested I adjust the mixture but that doesn't really make sense to me? I understand there's also a power valve in the carb that might be stuck? Thinking of trying a rebuild kit or slapping on a new Carb. Anyone had a similar experience? This is the first year we've had any problems.

alldodge

Staff member
I've seen others complain about this but no answers that made sense. Our 2008 Regal runabout runs fine but once I engage the prop it only goes to about 2000 RPM and then struggles to go any higher. Occasionally it'll break free and run up to 3000 or even 4000 but next time out I'm stuck at low rpm again. Thus far we've replaced the fuel filter/water separator and all ignition parts so I'm guessing it's a Carburetor issue. We've run cleaners though it but didn't help. When I called Holley Carbs they suggested I adjust the mixture but that doesn't really make sense to me? I understand there's also a power valve in the carb that might be stuck? Thinking of trying a rebuild kit or slapping on a new Carb. Anyone had a similar experience? This is the first year we've had any problems.

Howdy

These kinds of issues can be troublesome. Need to do a compression test. Remove the plugs, keep the throttle wide open and crank the motor over at least 4 times per cylinder. You need a compression gauge and can usually borrow one from a local auto store.

bluesound

Recruit
Engine has low hours and it's been well maintained so I doubt it's compression related. So far I've been shot-gunning things. Replaced all ignition components, some were badly needed, but it didn't help. Replaced the boost valve in the carburetor, didn't help... Replace the entire carb yesterday with a new one, didn't help. Now I'm going to replace the Fuel Pump or at least remove it and see if there's a screen that might be clogged... Just for others info who may find themselves in a similar predicament. I did find a recall notice for the Holley Carbs on some of these engines but ours wasn't in the range they designated... Engine is 4.3GL-J 2008 on a Regal 1900.

RCSConstruction

Chief Petty Officer
Don't discount the compression advice. Hours don't mean anything. You could have slightly over revved the motor and pulled some rocker studs, just to name one of many scenarios.
I would do it just for the sake of having a "baseline" for later down the road.

Do you mind sharing the info you found on the recall?

BarryTurano

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Don't discount the compression advice. Hours don't mean anything. You could have slightly over revved the motor and pulled some rocker studs, just to name one of many scenarios.
I would do it just for the sake of having a "baseline" for later down the road.

Do you mind sharing the info you found on the recall?

X100 on the compression test. When I bought my boat the engine had 565 hours on a 1999 motor. Compression was "good" started going down hill from there replaced every conceivable part went from fuel injection to carb, changed distributor, t stat, hotter plugs, wires, etc. After 3 years and 240 hours check compression again, motor was toasted. Re powering now. Lots of folks on this site said to check compression. I thought I just did and the motor has low hours. Guess what I should have listened. Hours don't mean crap. I could have repowered 2x based on what I spent. Do the compression and leak down!!!!

bluesound

Recruit
Success! so just to wrap things up for others info. After replacing ignition components (coil, rotor, module, cap), then replacing the Carb, Fuel pump, fuel water separator (twice) we did perform a compression check. All cylinders were between 200 and 210 psi, so very strong. While we'd looked at the spark plugs we really didn't think they were that bad. Decided to replace them anyways as they were out for the compression check and now it's running BETTER than EVER! My guess is that I was fogging the engine incorrectly and fouling the plugs in the process... Tried to attach the Holley recall notice but didn't seem to work. If you do a search for Holley marine carburetor recall 7.3.102 you'll find it though. http://www.volvopenta.com/SiteColle...paigns/Carbureted gasoline engines recall.pdf