1999 Volvo Penta Fuel Regulator

dfairchild6

Recruit
99 volvo penta 5.7 gsi , plug return fuel line at tbi 60 psi, can I put a external fuel pressure regulator in return line and set it at 30psi ?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
welcome aboard

you NEVER plug the return line to test a regulator, you pull the vacuum line to test a regulator. plugging the return line deadheads the pump

dfairchild6

Recruit
trouble shooting, I plug return line to deadhead pump, to check pressure, old pressure was 15 psi. boat would start,would not idle or stay running. i get a code 22 low voltage on tps , would that have any thing to do with fuel pressure? i read comments they rebuild reg.still not wright fuel pressure, or find reg, kit with 30 psi spring. so i was thinking about an external reg. in return line. would that work?

dfairchild6

Recruit
I plugged return line to deadhead pumps to check fuel pressure. (trouble shooting) my pressure was 15 psi boat would start, would not idle or stay running. i read comments they rebuilt fuel pres reg. or having trouble finding a kit with 30 psi spring, still not right.so i was wondering if a external reg. in return line would work? i get a code 22 would tps have anything to do with fuel pres?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
If you have TBI, 15 psi is correct.

if you have MPI, 45 psi is correct

TPS (Throttle Position sensor) has nothing to do with fuel pressure, or even fuel.

dfairchild6

Recruit
put ex, reg, in return line set @ 28-30 psi manual reads 24 psi to start. should have 30 psi when turn key on for 2 seconds. volts on tps 4.39( manual .7-4.48)
wot .62 (manual .3-.90) still get code 22 low volts unplug map. idles good, throttles good. any ideas?