5.7 GSI low pressure fuel pump is bad.

mklearl

Petty Officer 1st Class
The reading on the gauge before you took it apart was 8psi which is where you should be at. The gauge you are using doesn't read 2 psi so I'm not sure how you are getting that. Is it possible that you don't have a 5.7gsipefs? Or perhaps the po put the wrong pump in there and that's why it isn't running right? Just a thought. But when entering your information on any parts schematics it lists the fuel cell 3861355 not just the pump. Can you verify a number on the high pressure pump? Good luck.

Last edited:

Shaper79

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well installed a new fuel filter today. After I cleaned the screens on the pump. And carefully inspected O rings and lubed them. And reinstalled unit. I talked to the" man cave mechanic guy". He sales s the pumps and o ring kits. For about 100$ a pump. But my pumps are in spec according to the chart in above post. So thanks fellas. Lake test under load is next. In a couple weeks.

Taz59

Petty Officer 1st Class
I had a similar problem with my fuel cell, my Engine would stall at idle after ten minutes,low pressure pump reading 18psi-High pressure pump reading 52psi, so thought this was OK low pump out of spec but the high was OK - (the low pump was winding a little)was not convinced it was the fuel cell,so I changed the IAC Valve, Pressure Regulator,POV Valve & Crankshaft Sensor and it still stalled, so I bit the bullet and bought a new fuel cell (not from Volvo) this failed on low fuel pump not working so they sent me another, this also failed the test point on the low pump leaked,So I told them to give me my money back.

I bought a fuel cell from Volvo Penta and perfect everything is OK. :)

The first two fuel cells did not have any markings or letters stamped on them anywhere. The Volvo Penta fuel cell has numbers stamped on the fuel pumps and numbers on the casting also a sticker with Carter on it.

If you buy shite you buy twice

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Personally, I would use a fuel pressure gauge that allowed you to measure the pressure with more resolution. What I mean is one that doesn't go up to 100 PSI but maybe 30 or 15. The one you have may not give you an accurate reading at the low pressures.

Shaper79

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yea. I found you can buy the low pump and the high pump. Didn't find a low pump on iboats though for this fuel sell cause Volvo does not sell the low pump by it self. They want you to buy the whole fuel cell for 1300$ I guess cause "idk". Amazon has the high pumps and low pump also. The. Their is the man cave mechanic guy. Who cleans/rebuilds the fuel cells and tests the pumps and replace the pumps if needed. He also sells any thing you need for the carter fuel cells and both pumps. No need to buy a 1300$ fuel cell that ridiculous in my opinion just because the low pump goes out. Just google man cave mechanic. He has a web sight and email.

randym1957

Cadet
I had a similar issue with my FourWinns 5.7 gsi - eventually traced the issue back to the fuel pick up tube inside the fuel tank. In my case, a piece of silicon was acting as a flap and getting sucked up to close the inlet tube as the pump was demanding more fuel. Let off the throttle and the 'Flap' opened up and would run normally. This was happening on mine at about 2300 rpm. My dealer put two fuel pumps on it and he never did find the problem. I don't see him anymore. My point is, are you sure you don't have some blockage on your fuel pickup? May be worth the effort to check.

Shaper79

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well when I was checking and looking for possibly something stupid like that. To be the little demon. I did suck on the pickup tube. And gas came right up easily. So I kind of wrote off the anti syphon valve and pick up tube. But after my lake test next month. I'm going to go searching on that pick up tube
, if I'm not hitting my 4600 rpm with my 19 pitch. If I can't find any thing wrong with the motor , fuel, elect. Then I'll have to switch to my 17 prope.