Dual Penta SX won't reverse in straight line

pwilson164

Recruit
I don't even know where to start troubleshooting. Here are some more details :

With the two controls at the WOT in forward, the starboard engine runs about 250 rpms slower than port. To even the motors, I have to move the port control back 1/16 throttle or so.

In reverse idle, the boat goes hard to starboard, so hard that fully turning the wheel won't counter it.

I have verified that both outdrives are turning.

Any idea where I should start?

alldodge

Staff member
Howdy

Look at the props on the boat, one should be left handed and one should be right handed. From the hard to starboard it sounds like they are both right handed. If this is the case, then backing will be as you say, it will walk to starboard, same as a single screw boat, but more so with twins.

If both are turning the same direction, this may also cause one to gain a few more rpm's due to lift more to one side

pwilson164

Recruit
Howdy

Look at the props on the boat, one should be left handed and one should be right handed. From the hard to starboard it sounds like they are both right handed. If this is the case, then backing will be as you say, it will walk to starboard, same as a single screw boat, but more so with twins.

If both are turning the same direction, this may also cause one to gain a few more rpm's due to lift more to one side

Thanks for the reply - I think we can rule that out as it wasn't always this way. When I bought the boat a year ago, there was only a slight pull to starboard. Now it's uncontrollable.

alldodge

Staff member
Thanks for the reply - I think we can rule that out as it wasn't always this way. When I bought the boat a year ago, there was only a slight pull to starboard. Now it's uncontrollable.

When was the last time the boat was on the hard and everything checked out?

Have you checked for slop in the steering?
Is the tie bar between the drives loose?

pwilson164

Recruit
When was the last time the boat was on the hard and everything checked out?

Have you checked for slop in the steering?
Is the tie bar between the drives loose?

We had a survey done before we bought it last year. The boat was taken out of the water for it. We replaced the steering cable over the winter, but didn't mess with the tie bars at all.

There's a bit of slop, but nothing major. Maybe 15 degrees of play.

I'll check the tie bar.