cracked intake manifold on a brand new engine

fmillerperez

Recruit
Just had my glastron 249 /W a volvo penta 5.7 engine fully replaced with a new block, risers and manifolds.

At launch , mechanics kept the boat saying they had a vaccum leak. They later came back and said there was a hairline crack on the intake manifold but it was only sucking air, so they replaced the intake manifold and gasket , and I was all set.

I have had a good history with my mechanic for years , but business is business.... I want to trust, but verify.

I am not mechanical at all but it sounds too good to be true. what are the possible fallout items to a crack in an intake manifold and how would I check( or have a hird party person check) for. The motor has been run in salt water (for about an hour over 2 weeks .)( original launch was scuttled due to bad weather.)
)
I have visions of a milky oil or a failed engine in 30 days and me being on the hook for it.

I have not taken possession of the boat yet because of this issue.

kenny nunez

Captain
Go to the shop and ask to see the crack in the old manifold. Also the only place where the manifold could leak into the block is under the area below where the thermostat housing is located. Of course if the gaskets were not installed correctly you could get a vacuum and or water problems.