Changed 2012 Volvo 5.0 to 5.7 will not idle

Johnny_Mac

Recruit
We recently replaced a Volvo 50GXiC-270-R block to a 5.7L GM longblock. I was told everything would work fine but the engine will not idle. Goes from running smooth at 650rpm's up to over a 1000 and running rough. I have a feeling the EGC will need to be replaced. Has anyone ran into this before and is there anyone that can reflash the EGC? I have hooked up a diacom and am getting code SPN:1213 MIL Driver Fault.

alldodge

Staff member
Howdy

Your saying "it will not idle", but this comment

Goes from running smooth at 650rpm's up to over a 1000 and running rough

Makes me think it idles fine until your over 1000 rpm.

In any case, everything does swap, but the 5.7 needs more fuel then the 5.0, so your going to need the EGC reprogramed

Johnny_Mac

Recruit
Howdy

Your saying "it will not idle", but this comment

Makes me think it idles fine until your over 1000 rpm.

In any case, everything does swap, but the 5.7 needs more fuel then the 5.0, so your going to need the EGC reprogramed

Engine idles at 650rpms and every few seconds idles up to around 1000rpms. Sounds like computer is trying to adjust for not enough fuel. Do you know anyone that can reprogram the EGC?

alldodge

Staff member
Sorry thought he could, has been brought up so many times. See others online, so suggest google and search or might need to buy another.

Is interesting, ODB is all over this forum about being able to repair, so reprogram is not doable. Guess I certainly need to rethink sending folks to OBD and his listing of "custom Tunes". Another source is Arizona speed and marine but who know they to may not be able to.

alldodge

Staff member
Contacted Bob myself to get the low down so if anyone else passes by the thread they can read. He says the EGC's are made by E-controls and he knows of no one which works on them. The market is small so until it increases folks won't get into them as yet.

Guess the answer to your issue is you will need another EGC if your unable to determine the fault

Looked into your SPM 1213 code and found a manual from Indmar and for them and some of the small amount of info on VP with the code, they appear to be the same. The MIL error troubleshooting is below to determine if it is the EGC or something else

Slide1.JPG

Slide2.JPG

Slide3.JPG

Dave-R

Chief Petty Officer
If you have to get a new EGC be careful. The part numbers for the EGC could be the same for all engines, but the software # will be different. I found one for my 5.7 engine on Ebay with the same # on my EGC . However the software was for a 8.1. What a disaster. They are going to want a lot of serial #s to get the right one. Good luck Dave-R