Paint chips in fuel cell clogged inner screens ?!!!

Shaper79

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ok , so every year for the last 2 years and thus summer my boat as seemed more sluggish every year and is has a 19 pitch prop 2 years ago I could hit 4800 rpms this summer only 4100 rpms this is with the Bimini top up full tank of gas and 3 adults. So I starts replacement the usual parts , plugs , rotor , cap, plug wires, fuel filter. Although that did make it start better. And gave it a snappier response, I still could not get her over 4100 rpms. So I starts som deep research and have found that the Volvo penta fuel cell has screens inside the module and paint from inside the fuel cell "fuel pumps ". Is coming off and clogging these screens causing lots of folks to scratch their heads and spend lots of time and money to fix the low power problem. When most of the time it's these little ridiculous screens in the ""NON serviceable "" fuel cell pumps. Sooo I would like to take mine apart and check/clean mine. Does anyone have any knowledge of this and pics of what I need to take apart to get to the little screens. Thx. Oh and also the anti syphon valve location so I can check it as well. Thank fellas

Attachments

• photo268429.PNG
    photo268429.PNG
    976.9 KB · Views: 2

mklearl

Petty Officer 1st Class
Here is the most detailed service I have found.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engi...w-approach-to-the-volvo-penta-fuel-cell-5-0gi

I wouldn't say that MOST of the time lack of power is because of clogged fuel cell screens. I would say very rarely. Reason being is that once the pump is being starved for fuel they have a tendancy to burn up rather quick. The tell tale whine if the pump struggling for fuel is the beginning of the end for that pump. A bad fuel cell is easy to diagnose either by lack of fuel pressure or by the whine as stated above. Before ripping into a $500-$1000 "unservicable" fuel cell I would probably verify that is the problem to begin with.

mklearl

Petty Officer 1st Class
The anti syphon valve is located on your fuel tank and has the fuel hose attached to it. A way of checking that is again by checking rhe fuel pressure or to run off an external tank to see if the problem persists.

Shaper79

Petty Officer 1st Class
No I haven't checked the high and low fuel pressures yet. I'm going to Monday morning. Just bought a gage today. I'm going to watch the utube vids now. On the how to and what psi they should read. Thank guys.

Shaper79

Petty Officer 1st Class
No Title

There is NOT a vlave to hook up the gage to the high pressure pump. Nor is the a fuel pressure regulator on the lines. I checked and cleaned the pump screens not much in them. Low pressure pump was only about 6 psi at best and had a bit of a wine to it. Need to order one iboats does not have the low pressure pump. For my carter fuel cell. Any were else you guys recommend. I found one on Amazon that looks the same. But didn't have GSI in the description of what it fits. I have the 99-00 5.7GSI PEFS.

Attachments

• photo268693.PNG
    photo268693.PNG
    907.1 KB · Views: 3

Shaper79

Petty Officer 1st Class
No Title

Attachments

• photo268696.PNG
    photo268696.PNG
    105.4 KB · Views: 2
  • photo268697.PNG
    photo268697.PNG
    171.1 KB · Views: 2

Shaper79

Petty Officer 1st Class
This ^^ is the one I found on Amazon. What you guys think

mklearl

Petty Officer 1st Class
I think that the low pressure pump sounds good. What pressure is it supposed to be at? There isn't a Schroeder valve on the fuel line going from the high pressure pump to the tbi? Fuel pressure regulator is located on the throttle body itself. Not on the lines.

Shaper79

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ok I'll check it all out. But not there is not a valve no we're to check high pressure fuel pump.

Fishhead-1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
There are some aftermarket ones on eBay offered from caltric the seller , complete units I think some guys have tried maybe get some feedback from them around $300