My new boat

Edrowski

Cadet
Hello everyone. I just purchased a 1984 bayliner capri. The previous owner left it in covered storage for many years so the floor and upholstery is like mint. It has a good Bimini top on it. It does have a Volvo penta motor. I'm not sure what size? I've been doing research and I believe it's a aq125? It's hooked up to a 270 outdrive. One of the problems I'm having is that it will turn over but it's not getting any spark. I'm thinking since it's been sitting so long that the ignition coil is bad. I've heard that with these kinda motors. Maybe some new plugs while I'm at it. Any other things I should look out for on these boats. Any thing I need to check on or replace to help get it water ready? Thanks in advance everyone.

mr 88

Commander
Should post your engine question in the Volvo forum on this site. Not sure about Volvo out drives but Mercruisers have a shift interrupter that kills the engine ( shorts out coil ) for a split second when shifting back to neutral. If Volvo has something like this it could be stuck in the kill posistion and needs to be adjusted.

Maclin

Admiral
That is a points ignition and probably needs new points, or at least the current set filed down, either way gap and dwell needs to be set then timing checked. Having type all that in, how are you determining there is no spark? Have you looked at voltage at the positive coil terminal, things like that yet?

Maclin

Admiral
The Volvo's do not have the shift interrupt, different drive insides than the MerCruiser.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Hello everyone. I just purchased a 1984 bayliner capri. The previous owner left it in covered storage for many years so the floor and upholstery is like mint. It has a good Bimini top on it. It does have a Volvo penta motor. I'm not sure what size? I've been doing research and I believe it's a aq125? It's hooked up to a 270 outdrive. One of the problems I'm having is that it will turn over but it's not getting any spark. I'm thinking since it's been sitting so long that the ignition coil is bad. I've heard that with these kinda motors. Maybe some new plugs while I'm at it. Any other things I should look out for on these boats. Any thing I need to check on or replace to help get it water ready? Thanks in advance everyone.

coils almost never go bad....ever

clean your points. if points sit for more than 3 months, they develop an oxidation film on the contacts. if you dont have a points file, grab your wifes nail file

with any new to you boat

change impeller
change bellows
change gear lube
change engine oil and filter
change fuel filters
remove prop, grease prop shaft
clean all battery cable connections

if your AQ125 is using a heat exchanger, drain the anti-freeze and change it.

change the thermostat

Last edited: