Running temperatures

adamkat22

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I got a temperature gun and I'm just wondering if someone can tell me what temps I should be running at for the risers, engine block, etc. what places should I be taking temps and what should those temps
Be? Just want to make sure everything is running ok...
Thanks!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
would depend on the engine and thermostat you are running. raw water or fresh water cooled.

thats like asking what room temperature is and we have no idea what your thermostat is set on.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Throw some temps up on here now, and we can see what is going on, if it looks normal or abnormal. preferable in the lake so it's in normal conditions.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
im going to assume that this is a VP 280 drive based on your prior comments

with a 140 degree thermostat, raw water cooling and a properly running motor, your block should be between 140 and 145, your manifolds and risers between 150 and 170 (one will always be running a bit hotter than the other)

if you have cooling problems, did you change the impeller? did you replace the raw water inlet casting that is supposed to be changed every 2 years when you replace the bellows?

adamkat22

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yes it's a raw water cooled VP280, but I don't know what thermostat is in it. I'm taking it out for the first time this season and just wanted to check temps as I went, so I'll use those numbers you gave me as a rough idea...just want to be on top of it if it seemed like I was having cooling issues. Thanks

Scott Danforth

Staff member
with your new to you boat, did you change the impeller, bellows and the raw water inlet casting as well as gear lube, engine oil and filter, etc.?

adamkat22

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Gear lube? I put new oil in the outdrive. Same thing? Everything else besides the bellows were done. Looks like I have a very very small amount of oil coming from the outdrive so I will probably pull the boat in an attempt to fix that and do bellows at that time

dennis461

Chief Petty Officer
..... Looks like I have a very very small amount of oil coming from the outdrive so I will probably ....

A very very small amount of oil could make a large sheen on the water and get you a serious fine.
Also, in the water, the oil leak out could turn into a water leak in!

Be careful.