4 cyl Volvo Fuel tank/flooding issue

JoeD88

Recruit
So first a little back story on the boat..

It's an 84 Bayliner Capri with the 4 cyl. Volvo and 270 outdrive. Boat has always ran great, never had any issues until I noticed a strong gas smell and gas dripping from the hull drain. Found out my fuel tank has a hole in it.

Took the boat to a shop to confirm. Decided with my budget at the moment cutting the floor and removing the old tank wasn't an option right now. The owner of the shop suggested adding another (smaller) tank, which at the time sounded like a good option, if anything just to keep me on the water.

They added an outboard tank, under one of the rear seats, ran a new fuel line with an inline primer, like on an outboard.

Picked the boat up and took it home. Went to the lake yesterday and boat would not start. Turns over just fine. The carb was flooding worse I've ever seen. The clear tube that runs to the top of the carb in the air cleaner was just pouring gas. Called the shop and they swore it ran just fine at the shop and couldn't understand why I was having issues, but nontheless, didn't even offer to have me bring it in to take a look at it.

My question is, (and I know the fuel tank isn't ideal for the boat) could the primer bulb be causing too much pressure and causing the carb to flood? I know it has a fuel pump and i know the old tank didn't have any sort of primer or any need for one.

Fishhead-1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Not sure on the flooding other than float needle seat leaking overfilling bowl but sounds like now you have a gravity flow system tank higher than engine not good. Liability issue at large

JoeD88

Recruit
Not sure on the flooding other than float needle seat leaking overfilling bowl but sounds like now you have a gravity flow system tank higher than engine not good. Liability issue at large

New tank is lower than the carb and fuel pump. Sits about even with the bottom of the motor. I removed the primer and it is definitely not gravity feeding.

dennis461

Chief Petty Officer
I did not read where your fuel filter is. Did it get bypassed in the jerry rigged system?
My vote is for some crud caught in the carb needle valve.