Oil Leak New Engine

Jprevat

Petty Officer 1st Class
So my other thread had become convoluted with too many questions so I'll be short and quick with this one.

So I have my engine in and it's running great but now I have a new problem. I lost 2 quarts of oil in an hour of break in. It's not burning oil either. I have about two quarts in my bilge.

My front seal seams fine so I'm assuming it's my rear main. Do I need to pull this engine again to pull the pan and rear main?

Thanks in advance guys.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
its either rear main, or its coming from your oil pressure sender, rear of intake manifold, or one of the oil passage plugs

Jprevat

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thank you for getting back to me so quickly. Looks like i gave out the wrong info though. I looked without the engine running and made the wrong assumption.
The leak is definitely from up front.
Does this look like it may be from the oil pan gasket or from the front shaft? My money is on the oil pan.

I apologize for the shaky camera. I was panning around to make sure I got it on video.

NHGuy

Captain
Wow, that's too bad. Either way it's going to come out. I wonder if it's the well discussed 4.3 front cover leak. Or are those only on Mercruiser 4.3's?
I'd suggest running it on a stand to observe the leak, performing the repair and then run-stand it again to verify before putting it back in the boat.

Jprevat

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ok this one is little closer. Im definitely leaning toward oil pan gasket. I used Mahle gaskets but maybe I put them it in wrong? Should I try to tighten up the pan bolts up front and see if it cleans itself up?

Jprevat

Petty Officer 1st Class
Wow, that's too bad. Either way it's going to come out. I wonder if it's the well discussed 4.3 front cover leak. Or are those only on Mercruiser 4.3's?
I'd suggest running it on a stand to observe the leak, performing the repair and then run-stand it again to verify before putting it back in the boat.

Im thinking I may be able to do just that. I think my front cover is safe. Im not seeing any oil inside of the main crank pulley but it certainly is coming out below it. Ive gotten really good at pulling the outdrive and engine but I will not be pulling everything down to the long block this time if I can help it.

Thalasso

Commander
Front Crank Seal?
The timing cover is composite and can not be changed without removing the oil pan, which can not be remove with the engine in the boat.

Jprevat

Petty Officer 1st Class
My front crank seal is dry. I just went out and tried tightening up the front four bolts on the oil pan and the leak slowed. It didnt stop it but it did slow it down by about half. I think Ill drop the raw water pump and starter, pull the exhaust down pipes, unbolt the bell housing and the mounting lags, and give myself a foot or so extra to work with so I can drop the pan and see about cleaning up some edges, if there are any galls, and throw in a new gasket. Hopefully that will land me right where I need to be. If yall have any insight please send it my way.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
if your going thru all that trouble, you may as well pull the motor.

my guess this is a 4.3 liter and your going to have to pull the motor anyway to fix the leak.

its a known problem with a known cure which involves pulling the motor and replacing the front timing cover.

Jprevat

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hmmm, so even though my front crank seal seams to be dry I still need to replace the new front cover? I'm just trying to understand why the fault falls to the front cover and not to the oil pan gasket.

Jprevat

Petty Officer 1st Class
I've been reading that it is really important to work from the middle out on the oil pan and to only tighten to 18 ft lbs. I know I started at the rear and worked forward so that may have caused my problem.

Do y'all have a specific type or brand of front cover y'all like to use?

Jprevat

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thank you for the help Scott. I'll wrestle with it later this week and let y'all know what I find.

Jprevat

Petty Officer 1st Class
So i got to looking and it appears I have isolated the leak to the starboard side where the the "U" comes to a point. It also doesnt leak until it trickles down. This does sound more and more like a cover problem. Now I just need to find the correct cover that doesnt use the crankshaft sensor so I can replace it. Anyone have the right part number out there?

Jprevat

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ordered a new timing cover and oil pan gasket tonight so i will have them in hand soon. Should I add any rtv to anything or just install it all clean and dry?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
I`d like to see more of the oil pan and front cover, can merc or GM parts be used instead of Volvo?

Jprevat

Petty Officer 1st Class
From what I understand they absolutely can. I'll get some better pictures later this week when I get the engine up and out of the boat.

My pan didn't leak on my previous engine so I'm pretty sure the way I torqued it down is at fault but it could also be the front cover so I'm replacing that too.

Jprevat

Petty Officer 1st Class
Went back with a GM timing cover and a Mahle gasket. So far so good. I did have a small burr in my gasket channel on the pan so I filed it down. So far so good.

What would y'all recommend for a good power steering fluid replacement? I don't have an owner's manual and since sunbird is out of business I'm not sure I can get one. I have a 1997 4.3 GL and SX outdrive if that matters.

spoilsofwar

Lieutenant Junior Grade
The boat manufacturer, Sunbird in this case, means nothing as far as owners manuals go. You need a shop manual for your engine and drive, which are made by Volvo.

Boat manufactuer "owners manuals" are almost universally safety pamphlets and are near worthless.

Jprevat

Petty Officer 1st Class
The boat manufacturer, Sunbird in this case, means nothing as far as owners manuals go. You need a shop manual for your engine and drive, which are made by Volvo.

Boat manufactuer "owners manuals" are almost universally safety pamphlets and are near worthless.

Thank you very much. I hadn't thought about there being no difference in boat manufactures