4.3 GXI-D Wiring Diagram

reierme

Cadet
I am having an issue with the ignition on this engine. I currently have no power at the coil. Does anyone know where I can get the wiring diagram for this? Any ideas or similar experience?

​Thanks

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,.... Start at the key switch,.... The red wire should be hot all the time,....

The purple wire should be hot with the key "On",....

The yellow/ red wire should be hot with the key in the "Start" position,....

reierme

Cadet
Thanks Bondo. I checked all that after I posted. Red wire was hot all the time, the purple wire was hot with the key "On". Initial test there was spark coming from coil so I moved to the rotor and cleaned the pointer tip and after that, I had no power at the coil. Weird! Fuse and relay are both fine.
BNDO_FTR_zpszdiexahz.jpg~original

reierme

Cadet
Scott, I have been on this site and cannot find the wiring diagram for the 4.3 GXI-d engine. I can find wiring diagrams for all other motors. I've looked thru manual sections.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
You already have power on the purple wire which goes back to the coil +

The points or electronic ignition pulses the negative side of the coil to fire the spark.

Nearly every boat has identical wiring. For that matter, nearly every spark ignited motor with a distributor

reierme

Cadet
So I figured out the power to coil problem. The kill switch was bad. I now have spark to the distributor with new cap/rotor, and it will still not start up. It's like the cap is not lining up right. Set motor to TDC, rotor is pointing at the 6 indicator which is #1 cylinder. Not sure why this is not sparking to plugs.

reierme

Cadet
Update. I have the distributor cap lined up right and I have spark at all plugs. Boat turns over but will still not start. Guessing I'm moving on to fuel. Any suggestion where to start? I can hear fuel pump make it's noise when key is turned on. There is voltage at the high and low pressure pump. I don't believe the relay is bad since I had a spare I tried as well.

Bondo

Staff member
Guessing I'm moving on to fuel. Any suggestion where to start?

Ayuh,..... I'd pull the fuel filter, 'n inspect it's contents for the amount in it, 'n for anything but clean fresh gasoline,....

reierme

Cadet
Thanks Bondo. I did that. I have a pre-filter with water bowl and both filters are fuel only. I tested battery, it is fine. I also tested voltage at all injectors and they were all @ 12.47V. Any mechanic service is 2-4 weeks out. Don't want to wait that long. I did pull the fuel filter and turned the boat over and fuel pumped out the filter housing. That shouldn't happen should it? The pump is after the filter.