1999 5.0 GiPEFS Oil Pressure Sensor location

allingeneral

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Where is the oil pressure sensor on my engine? I have a sensor with a spade terminal and a single wire mounted in the oil filter housing on the port side of the engine and another sensor on the top side near the distributor with a single screw terminal. Which of these is the oil pressure sensor?

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Not sure but 1 is the sender, 'n the other is the alarm switch,....

Pull the wire 'n ground one,... It'll either peg the gauge, or sound the alarm,...

allingeneral

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thank you for your response.

I'm troubleshooting an issue on my port engine where gauge indicates zero oil pressure and alarm sounds. Was ok when I winterized it last fall. I was thinking of swapping the sender between port and starboars engines to see if the zero pressure indication follows the sender.

Any thoughts on that?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
If both the gauge reads 0 and alarm sound, you have 2 systems telling you you have 0 oil pressure.

Pretty sure in that case you have 0 oil pressure

Sender is up by dizzy, alarm switch is at the filter

Plug in a mechanical gauge to troubleshoot pressure

Did you make sure you have oil in the motor?

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... What's the condition of the sender, 'n switch, 'n their connections, on the port motor,..??

What's the condition of the battery ground strap to that motor, 'n it's connections, both ends,..??

All those connections oughta be sanded, 'n cleaned to shiny metal Clean, put back together, 'n greased,...

Is the motor makin' terrible noises when ya run it,..??

allingeneral

Petty Officer 3rd Class
First thing I did was shut it down and check oil. I changed it when I winterized, and it looks good on the dipstick. I haven't run it long enough to hurt it.

Pressure gauge comes up off of the peg when ignition is turned on, but doesn't budge even the slightest.

I was hoping that the alarm was the result of the pressure gauge being at zero, but it sounds like they are two separate monitor points.

Sounds like I may have lost an oil pump, or pick up is clogged...something not good is going on. :-/

allingeneral

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I'll check over the grounds. That seems like a good thing to do anyway.

gbeltran

Petty Officer 1st Class
I would change out the filter at least before trying it again, what brand did you use? I've never heard of an oil pump failing on a Chevy, although I suppose it's possible something could have broken, but if you put it away and it was working I cant see that happening. The screen can get clogged sure, if you've changed the oil frequently I doubt that's an issue. Bondo has the right idea also, make sure the grounds and connections are in good condition.

allingeneral

Petty Officer 3rd Class
gbeltran you hit it on the head. The oil filter wasn't changed when I winterized and some settling seems to have occurred. Replaced filter and got oil pressure. I feel a little stupid for leaving the old filter on there.

Took it out cor a run yesterday and it went well. Now just have to figure out the issue with it missing and running like junk. Intake backfire under load...

Bondo

Staff member
Now just have to figure out the issue with it missing and running like junk. Intake backfire under load...

Ayuh,.... Inspect the contents of the fuel filter for anything but good clean fresh gasoline,...

Goin' lean is a common cause of that condition,....

allingeneral

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Ayuh,.... Inspect the contents of the fuel filter for anything but good clean fresh gasoline,...

Goin' lean is a common cause of that condition,....

I replaced the fuel cell, which includes fuel filter/water separator at the end of last season. It has throttle body injection, and I'm thinking about pulling that apart and sending the injectors out to be cleaned.