Engine Break in

justinteoc

Seaman
So I've finally finished rebuilding my 97 3.0GSMLKD engine and it's come time to break in the new engine and after reading a few threads about needing a zinc additive with flat tappet camshafts I'm suddenly afraid that if I don't do this correctly I'll be replacing a camshaft, so the question is do I need to use a zinc additive and also should I use synthetic oil or not, To be real honest I run delo 15w 40 (I know I'm gonna catch hell) In everything I own and have for the past 20 years with never one engine problem but after reading a few articles I'm now questioning if it's the right thing to do with this engine. What weight of oil should I run and possibly a brand and should I purchase the 20$ pint of zinc additive and run it with every oil change or just break in?

Maclin

Admiral
For my automotive adventures, when installing a new cam/lifter set in an engine, putting chrome moly lube on the camshaft and lifters before they "met" was what I used to do. Then do the run-in, and change the oil soon after. I usually detuned it first, then set the timing on "kill" after the breakin. Did you do anything like that? Or just straight oil?

justinteoc

Seaman
I did use moly graphite engine assembly line by CRC, completely covered the cam and lifters, I haven't ran it at all yet as I wanted to make sure I'm not gonna wear a cam lobe within seconds after starting.. lol some of those articles will scare you.. but I did find a zinc additive but is the Delo 15w 40 safe to use or should I find something else? I should mention the temperature will never be under 70 degrees here in central Mississippi..

Maclin

Admiral
I never had any valve train issues with worn lobes on breakin, or even after. I had one cam that I used in 3 different engines, never any problems, broke it in the same way every time. The first turnover in any engine breakin can be the most damaging event, prelube as recommended and it should be fine..

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Use rotella T 15w40. Go boating following break-in loading