4.3 GXi-D Ignition timing

reierme

Cadet
Hey all. I am trying to determine what the ignition timing is for this engine. The operators manual gets specific for the A/B model but not D. I replaced cylinder heads, lapped the valves, torqued heads to spec and did the valve lash torque adjustment at 22 pounds following steps when exhaust is just starting to open, torque intake and when intake is just starting to close, torque exhaust. I set motor at TDC and re-installed distributor pointing at cylinder #1. Engine will not start and I'm wondering if this is a timing issue or if I missed something. Engine turns over just fine. New spark plugs installed, fuel seems fine. I ordered a compression tester, spark tester and timing light and would like to get this running soon so I can take boat out for memorial day weekend. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
being injected, did you shunt the dizzy to set base timing?

reierme

Cadet
Scott, I did not shunt the dizzy. I just ordered it now. There is a plug and connector with wires on the back of the distributor. Is it necessary to shunt the dizzy? What I don't understand is after I set engine to TDC, I installed distributor pointing at #1 cylinder. Shouldn't there be spark? I tested for spark and there was none. I assume if I did everything correctly to this point, shouldn't the engine have started? Also I found that the timing should be 10 degrees BTDC. Is this accurate? There is no marks for BTDC near the harmonic balancer.

Thanks