1997 4.3l penta seized??

bboldt

Seaman Apprentice
I just acquired a 1997 4.3L penta that hasn't run in 10 years. I'm going through the motor to see if its worth messing with. i haven't tried to start the motor mainly because the batteries are dead. Just wanted to make sure it wasn't locked up. I pulled the plugs and removed the belts and tried to manually turn the motor with a breaker bar on the harmonic balancer it moves easy from the 10:00 to the 2:00 position then stops. What gives?? Is it in the out drive?
or is it trashed? Where do i go from here? Thank you in advance for you advice.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Start be pulling the drive and the plugs

Critters could have built a nest in a combustion chamber, or a valve could be stuck

ThomW

Chief Petty Officer
Definitely pull the drive. If it turns all the way around after that, you know it is a lower unit issue and not within the motor. If it still only turns a little with lower unit off, then the issue is within the motor.

bboldt

Seaman Apprentice
4.3l volvo penta won't turn all the way over

Several weeks ago I posted that my 1997 4.3l Volvo Penta will only turn for the 10:00 to the 2:00 position then stops. I had remove the spark plugs and the belts.
Someone suggested that i remove the outdrive that something could be causing it to bind in the outdrive.
I remove the outdrive today and it works great on the stand. And now the motor will rotate from the 10:00 to the 8:00 position then stops abruptly. What gives?!?!?!?

Back Ground on the engine It has sat for 10yrs but it ran when stored. the only issue i know of was a stuck shift cable

alldodge

Staff member
I looked at your first thread and so did some others. Only reason we didn't respond is because you had a couple of folks which gave you good advice. So you did what they said and its still stuck.

http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engi...nes-outdrives/10400126-1997-4-3l-penta-seized

You should have posted again to the same thread to keep the issue in the same thread. So now you need to pull your plugs and see if it will rotate completely. Also check if there is any water in the cylinders

bboldt

Seaman Apprentice
I have pulled the plugs and there is no water in the cylinders.
When I turn the motor over to the point where it stops there is a clang from the back side of the motor. I'm not slamming the motor at this point, just a bump to make a bit of noise.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... Time to pull the motor,....