Thermostat issue, maybe?

1998gemini

Recruit
1998 Horizon 200 4.3 Volvo PentaGi
I recently purchased my boat from a yacht dealer and have finally put her in the water for the first time. I made a few minor repairs to some surface cracks, gave her a complete 3M 3 stage compound buffing and a new painted bottom.
I replaced a leaky seawater pump and belt and proceeded to test with the hose...
I noticed after several minutes at idle I had no change in the motor temp gauge. I ran the motor for another few minutes also with no change in temp on the gauge.
I got her on the water finally this weekend and ran her pretty good for her "maiden" voyage.. a few times the gauge went above the coldest reading (proving the gauge is getting some kind of reading).. no higher then maybe 1/5th of the gauge..
I stopped several times, opened the motor cover and I could lay my hand on the block..
My question is ; is the thermostat gauge correct? I'm used to my car gauge running at 1/2 way on the gauge...where should the boats gauge read under "normal" operating conditions..?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Use an IR thermometer to check your block temp

Also, check to see if there is a thermostat. Someone prior could have incorrectly removed it

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
My boat runs at 140?. Your engine also comes with a 140? thermostat so you are likely fine. Do as Scott says and measure with an IR thermometer at the thermostat housing to see what you get.