Volvo sx stuck on the water (again)

Shark_bait99

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hello all, my stern drive will not shift into gear. She was fine for the first 3 rides of the season but a hour into the day yesterday she just stopped. Engine starts normally, no grinding, throttles fine.
When shifting forward to idle that gear engaging sound is not there.

She's a:
2004 four Winns w a volvo 5.7 gi-e w sx-m 1.51 drive

This happened many years ago and I still had the 30hp trolling motor tucked away so I motored 6 miles at 1mph last night and she's safely at the dock. Last time was a leaking prop shaft seal (on a brand new to me boat) =new upper leg=$$$

When I shift I can feel the shift cable moving near the engine along with the throttle. I am hoping the shift cable maybe disconnected at the leg.

My truck is 3 hrs away so I am wondering if I can repair this in the water. Remove the drive cover and re attach or gerry rig something on the shifter to work so we can not ruin this beautiful long weekend (we get so few decent weekends in canada).

Anyone have any pics/advice to know what i am up against?

Thanks in advance iboats! U have saved me many times!

Shark_bait99

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Can the engine be started if the drive is in forward or reverse gear? Does it have to be in neutral? I am wondering if I can manually shift the leg while engine is off. "Little" scary when on I'm sure

Shark_bait99

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I am going to get wet in an hour and find out. Waters 58 degrees so I was hoping for some advice first

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
The engine should not start in fwd or rev, there is an interlock in the shift control that prevents this because it could be dangerous.
Is there any way you can get the boat up on a trailer to remove that cover on the end of the upper gear housing? It sounds like your shift cable may have disconnected at the outdrive shift bell crank....58*F is cold!

dennis461

Chief Petty Officer
The cable housing may be rotted/ rusted where it lays in the water, the point of most flexing when turning.
If 'forward" is pushing the cable, and 'reverse" is pulling the cable. It may work in reverse but not forward.

Shark_bait99

Petty Officer 3rd Class
My truck is 3 hrs away and the lock for my trailer is on that key ring. So even if I borrow a truck i still have a lock on my trailer. That's why I'm looking for a in the water repair.

dennis461

Chief Petty Officer
Can you tilt the drive up, then try shifting?'
Turn full left, try shifting,
Turn full right try shifting
Tilt drive up, remove cover while standing on swim platform?

Shark_bait99

Petty Officer 3rd Class
If it does work im going wakeboarding anyways... wet will be quicker than getting a truck, hitch & hacksaw, hitchin up, mounting trolling motor, trailering with best friend/saved my butt twice trolling motor. And then seeing wtf is up. Wetsuit and go.
Even a screenshot from the service manuals at boatinfo will help if someone has a sec. I can't get them from my phone (need flash I think?) Thanks!