Spring Maintenance Before Boat Goes In the Water - Questions

jaws2tets

Cadet
Hi All,
I've been around boats all my life but first time owning one all to myself. Bought the boat end of August last yr. I tackled the winterization mainly because the local dealer wanted me to leave the boat in their lot for a month while it waited for its turn and I wanted it home so I could do some of my own customization to it.
So in the fall quick summary, I fogged the engine, drained and replaced with anitfreeze, and added fuel stabilizer.

Now in the spring Im tackling oil change, gear oil chg, lube the shaft

I went to take the prop off yesterday and the nut was loose...cant be a good thing...everything seemed ok so lubed up the shaft and reinstalled the prop and tightened to 75 ft lbs as per manual.

I drained the gear oil, even though it looked pretty darn clear, and started refilling using the tube adaptor through the drain plug. Ran into an issue as I didnt buy enough gear oil (Stupid me) So now the outdrive is probably half full and I cant buy any more synthetic gear oil until tuesday(bc of long weekend). So I guess Im not going boating tomorrow.

But my question is, can I start the engine(with muffs) to thin the engine oil so I can at least get that changed and done while I wait to get to the store to get more gear oil? Or could that cause damage.

I have a 2005 Seaswirl 190 bowrider with 4.3GL Volvo Penta

Thanks!

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... I wouldn't,... the upper gear set is dry, without the drive bein' full of oil, 'n it turns with the crankshaft,....

jaws2tets

Cadet
Thanks for the help. I wasnt going to start it without knowing for sure that it would be safe but sounds like I'll be a little behind this year. Thanks!

89retta

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Depending on where you are up here in the great white north. You can get gear oil at you local Canadian tire store. They are open this weekend.

jaws2tets

Cadet
Im down near Windsor, ON. Would CT have the Volvo Penta Synthetic Oil? That's what I half filled it with lol and not sure if its a good idea to mix?

Shark_bait99

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Does any1 know if this will work. It's gl-5... they won't have Volvo for sure

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170521-084615.png
    Screenshot_20170521-084615.png
    185.6 KB · Views: 0

Jeepster04

Chief Petty Officer
People get all exited when you start talking about any sort of oil. Technically a GL-5 oil will work. BUT. The volvo oil will supposedly protect the drive in the event that water gets in the oil. Personally I would just wait for the volvo oil.

Walmart.com sales the volvo oil. Thats where I bought mine and it had free shipping at ~$18 a quart. Seems that I got it in just a couple of days but with you being in canada I have no idea.