In between a rock and a gimbal

Lawnpro979

Petty Officer 1st Class
Gentlemen

I have removed the lower unit on my VP 4.3 with a SX drive only t discover the gimbal is smoothe as a cats me- ow

The ujoints are in great shape. And I'm wondering should I go ahead and replace?

Me being new to IO boating was putting the trim up high and "popping wheelies" I simply didn't know better...

It looks as if the berring has never been replaced and the boat is 11 years old......

Now I realize I've asked some dumb questions here, but I'm learning so please bear with me....

I'm thinking about just greaseing everything up and reassemble.....

Thanks in advance

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... So what prompted ya to pull the drive, 'n look 'round in the 1st place,..??

Symptoms will effect my answer,.....

Lawnpro979

Petty Officer 1st Class
I thought maybe from this board I should geese and look...I guess fear

Bondo

Staff member
Ok, if it checks out, put it back together, 'n go Boatin',....

Jeepster04

Chief Petty Officer
Dont start replacing parts that are in good shape, you'll go crazy! While its an awesome idea to remove the drive and inspect, you don't need to replace anything just for kicks aside from the bellows, seals where the drive mates up, the gear oil, and maybe the raw water impeller on the front of the engine.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Certainly its not a waste of time and is supposed to be done each season. Grease the driveshaft splines, the gimble and u joints if they are greasable and the mating surfaces of the drive and pivot housing so it does not corrode in place. Check the driveshaft bellows for water and small cracks starting in the folds. Then re-install the drive and go boating as Bondo said....

Lawnpro979

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yes...thanks all....believe it or not everything looks good......thanks again