Volvo Penta Cobra SX Outdrive Oil

trailshredder

Petty Officer 1st Class
Can I use Penzoil Synthetic Outdrive oil instead of Volvo Penta gear oil in my Cobra SX Outdrive?

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade
As long as it's the correct weight and does not include Limited Slip additives.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Volvo Specifies a Synthetic GL-5 Oil. You can't go wrong by using the Volvo Oil

Augoose

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I agree, go with the VP. The biggest challenge is remembering to order some ahead of time so you have it on hand!

spoilsofwar

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I've used Amsoil marine 75w-90 gear lube in my SX-A since new. Never seen a hint of metal shavings in any of the annual lube changes. It's GL-5 spec'ed, and cheaper then the Volvo stuff.

dannyual767

Petty Officer 1st Class
I too am using the Amsoil marine 75w-90 GL-5 gear oil. Way less expensive than the VP gear oil.

Insomnium

Seaman
You can even use the WallyWorld brand Supertech 75/90 as its GL-5 and has no LS additives. I never had a problem with it.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Sorry, but saving less than $20 on gear oil that you change once a year on a $10,000 sterndrive isn't worth it.

Insomnium

Seaman
Sorry, but saving less than $20 on gear oil that you change once a year on a $10,000 sterndrive isn't worth it.
Its virtually the same crap. The second post in the thread had it right. As long as its the proper weight and has no LS additives (even thats debatable) You will be fine.

Like you said though, its not a big expense to use the OEM that is made by someone else anyway. Its just hard to find locally in many places.

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Its just hard to find locally in many places.
I just order it from iBoats. They have a pretty good price on it.

The late DonS who was the Volvo guru pretty much said not to use anything but the Volvo gear oil as he saw issues with cone clutch slippage with other gear oils.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Off on a bit of a Tangent, close to 40 yrs ago my uncle had an OMC 800 stringer drive. Every year he was getting the upper and lower gear sets replaced. I eventually found out that one of his "expert" fellow boaters had told him there was no need to 'waste' money buying OMC Hi-Vis for his gearcase, that it was just rebottled 90W gear oil. So my uncle let his expert friend change the oil at the end of season. Next summer, Kaboing! Off to the shop for repairs, and it would make through the season, then next summer same thing. After a couple of warranty replacements the shop asked a few questions and stated unless he started using the OMC oil, they weren't going to do anymore warranty. Oddly enough, once he started using the Hi-Vis, he never had another failure. Of course those who deny any difference will claim the shop finally fixed it properly... He was running a 5.7 260hp, which was in itself pushing the OMC drive to the ragged edge for durability. His so called expert, didn't own an I/O but a straight shaft inboard.

mikeneal

Senior Chief Petty Officer
A local VP shop replaced the input shaft seal for me last year and when I was there they were rebuilding a drive that had the cones destroyed but using improper oil. ( I think mobile one it had limited slip additive) . All synthetic gear oil costs about 15 bucks a quart and VP is like 20/quart. That's like ten bucks extra to not worry.

greenbm

Seaman
I have always used VP synthetic 75-90. THis year i cam accross Lucas marine full synthetic gear lube. It's 75w90 GL5 rated with No LS additive. I just filled the drive up the other day. probbaly wont be boating for another month. Should i be concerned about my decision to swap brands?

spoilsofwar

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I have always used VP synthetic 75-90. THis year i cam accross Lucas marine full synthetic gear lube. It's 75w90 GL5 rated with No LS additive. I just filled the drive up the other day. probbaly wont be boating for another month. Should i be concerned about my decision to swap brands?

You should not be concerned. There are no magic pixies in VP gear lube. It is not made by VP with any secret sauce, just to their specifications. Your GL-5 Lucas oil lube will work fine.

slag

Chief Petty Officer
I'm going to academy sports tonight to pick up some of the Lucas M8 75W-90 marine gear oil as well and am glad I found someone else using it. It's $12.99 a quart and I'm buying several quarts to use in the upcoming years.