Engine removal

Deeds Pops

Recruit
Hi, everyone I'm new to all this, but stuck just the same. Here is my question.
Engine removal 2009 glastron gt205 ski/fish 5.0l gl Volvo penta SX drive.
I was a mechanic for 15 years, both dealerships and independent. I assume there is more to this then motor mounts and bell housing bolts, as I did that and only got about a half inch, didn't want to get too horsey with it until I found out more about it, procedure would be great, any advise greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Mike

tlewis1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Start with removing the drive....fwd port and stb mounts and the two bolts in the back of the bell hsng....then all misc. electrical and hoses and your good to go..

Dave-R

Chief Petty Officer
Unfortunately, I'm getting pretty good at it. My rebuilt engine developed a rod nock at 1 hr into the mission. Pull the drive first, then front mounts with a 15/16 wrench, and the back mounts are 3/4 socket with extension. Loosen the rubber manifold gaskets on both sides. Remove the grounding wires from the engine backside. Remove the 4 or 5 electrical connections carefully . Remove the power steering hoses, and tie them up. I remove the water inlet hose on the backside of the engine if I can now. Some times I lift the engine a little to get to the starter wires. I bought a little engine hoist bracket that can adjust front to back height that helps for clearing tight spots. Go slow and have proper rigging. I used to use a crappy come-along. I bought a 1 1/2 ton chain hoist, and thought I died and went to heaven.
Good luck, you can do it. I'm 66 and It takes me about 3 hrs. Dave-R

Deeds Pops

Recruit
Thanks! Is it a big deal to remove the drive? I have everything else loose. Should I put the bell housing bolts back in and pull that whole little snout with the engine

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
step 1 is read the manual http://boatinfo.no/lib/library.html or http://www.volvopenta.com/marineleisure/en-en/for-owners/your-engine/manuals---handbooks.html
step 2 is remove the drive
step 3 is disconnect batteries, wiring, fuel
step 4, disconnect exhaust, power steering, etc.
step 5, pull mounting lag bolts for front mounts, unbolt rear mounts
step 6, pull motor, manifolds, flywheel houseing as a complete unit

and yes, put the bell housing bolts back in. you have the weight of the motor now resting on the coupler (not good for the coupler) you made your job harder by not removing the reading the manual first or removing the drive as second