fuel pump running continuosly without key in the switch

R.N.

Cadet
Hi
I was trying to trace a yellow red (ignition wire ) and all of a sudden fuel pump start working . key was not in the ignition .
i use the key trying to turn it on/ start / off nothing happen (no surprise here as i have an issue with neutral switch ) .
eventually i disconnected the battery . if i reconnect the battery the pump start back on .

Any idea where to look ? My guess is behind the dashboard i might have made a wrong connection but where should i look for?

My boat is Larson , engine is 5.7GS PLKD if this is relevant.
Thanks

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Hi
I was trying to trace a yellow red (ignition wire ) and all of a sudden fuel pump start working . key was not in the ignition .
i use the key trying to turn it on/ start / off nothing happen (no surprise here as i have an issue with neutral switch ) .
eventually i disconnected the battery . if i reconnect the battery the pump start back on .

Any idea where to look ? My guess is behind the dashboard i might have made a wrong connection but where should i look for?

My boat is Larson , engine is 5.7GS PLKD if this is relevant.
Thanks

I would look at the last bit of wiring you were working on.

could be the fuel pump relay is stuck, or more likely could be you bypassed the switch and connected something where it wasnt supposed to. like connecting the fuel pump do a power source

ignition wires are purple

yellow with a red stripe is starting

R.N.

Cadet
I have some doubts now about the situation .
When i said the fuel pump was running without key i did it because there was a noise like pump coming from the fuel tank location .
I checked the wire going there and it looks like red , green and black .
So maybe in fact this wiring it goes to fuel sensor .
I just don't get how this could make such a big noise if i short it somehow .Tomorrow i will check fuel gauge maybe the short is there .
In cars sometimes there is a fuel pump in the tank , is volvo 5.7 gs like that or is just having a hose to suck the fuel from tank and pump is on the motor ?

alldodge

Staff member
I doubt you have a fuel pump in the tank. You happen to have a bilge pump near by?

R.N.

Cadet
the bilge pump is close to it and i could touch it , it is not the pump making the noise for sure .

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
do you have a live well pump that may be running? or maybe a water system pump.

as AD indicated, there are no pumps in the tank

R.N.

Cadet
ok , i have find the problem , a second bilge pump was installed next to the fuel tank , no hose attached , sitting loose on the side .Why ? i don't know but the fuse was kinda loose and when i touched the the wiring i guess it come back to live .I think there was a bit of water accumulating there and later he fixed the problem by drilling a hole so the water go to the main bilge pump .Thanks for help guys.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Some times things turn out to be so weird and you wonder WHY? Glad you found your problem. I hope you removed the HOT wires from the boat. Otherwise, other things could happen. JMHO